We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65055 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2015, 08:35:23 PM »
Sedella pumila looks dainty! We have a similar species here, Sedum annuum but it rarely forms mats.

Good luck on your next trip!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
Sedella pumila looks dainty! We have a similar species here, Sedum annuum but it rarely forms mats.

Good luck on your next trip!

Trond,

Sedum annuum? I may have heard of this species, but I clearly do not remember much. I will have to look this one up.

My next outing will be on March 18th. The plan is to go out to Nevada Point. The Violas might be blooming and I may be able to get a good photograph of Torreya californica. Spring is moving forward quickly.... too quickly. The drought and record high temperatures most of the winter has created a very unusual situation. The plants are all moving into growth and bloom extremely quickly and over a wide elevation range. It makes it challenging for me to decide where to visit next. Whatever happens it generally turns out good. I will have a report in a day or two.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2015, 04:01:08 AM »
Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Weather:  High Clouds

Temperature  High: 74 F (23 C)  Low: 40 F  (4 C)

I started today's outing at the canyon rim of the Rubicon River at an elevation of 3,420 feet (1,042 meters). I was in the same area 2 weeks ago, however this time I would explore the Nevada Point Trail.

At the canyon rim the Madrone Trees (Arbutus menziesii) were in full bloom.

At this elevation Sugar Pine (Pinus lambertiana, tree on right) is a common forest conifer. White Fir (Abies concolor, tree on left) is seen occasionally at this elevation, however it is commonly found at higher elevations.

A decent photograph of Lithocarpus densiflora var. echinoides. A dwarf form of the Tan Bark Oak (Lithocarpus densiflora), commonly seen in the coastal mountains of California.

The bottom of the leaves are a beautiful silvery color.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:03 AM »

Little Prince's Pine (Chimaphila menziesii) is a very small evergreen Ericaceae. There are two species in our area. It was still too early for flowers.

At this higher elevation Cardamine californica was still in bloom. Lower down the mountain they had started blooming in January.

The Big Leaf Maples (Acer macrophyllum) were also in full bloom. I find the flowers of this species very attractive.

Asarum hartwegii with its purplish flower down at ground level.

After a short hike down the side of the canyon, I arrived at Nevada Point and the start of the Nevada Point Trail. Nevada Point is at 3,040 feet (927 meters) elevation. From here the trail drops very quickly to the Rubicon River below, 1,437 feet (438 meters) in 1.5 miles (2.4 km). Quite a drop!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:19:43 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2015, 04:32:43 AM »

The new growth of California Black Oak (Quercus kelloggii) can be so beautiful. I took some time to stand under this oak, looking straight into the blue, blue sky above. What a delight.

Many years ago, when I last hiked this trail I found some interesting Dodecatheons at this site. They were still here, however the flowers were long gone.

Another interesting plant was this Lomatium species. I will have to do some rechecking, but I do have it narrowed down to two species. The ground was quite dry and hard and the plants seemed very stunted making identification a bit difficult.

Tauschia hartwegii was frequently seen, with many plants in bloom.

And then I started down the trail to the Rubicon River below.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2015, 04:50:00 AM »

This part of the canyon is much more dry and hot, than the Buckeye Flat Trail of 2 weeks ago. The first part of the trail goes through a forest of Canyon Live Oak (Quercus chrysolepis). This part was not even the steepest part of the trail. Maybe you can see the large rock wedged between the oak trees. In rainy weather rock slides are frequent events.

In some of the rock faces Dudleya cymosa was getting ready to bloom.

In some of the hottest and driest areas Calochortus monphyllus was blooming. One of my favorites.

I was looking for a good full grown tree of Torreya californica to photograph. I guess it will have to wait until another time. The bark of this species is very distinctive.

The remains of Mountain Lion kill (deer). The cat was not finished with it as it had been pulled down the trail a considerable distance on my return trip.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:21 AM »

A view across the canyon. One can see how steep the canyon side is in various places.

I quickly moved down into other life zones. Heuchera micrantha in bloom.

Some plants will be blooming later such as these Thistles, Cisium occidentale var. californica.

Hard to see but the true Marah watsonii. A few weeks ago I posted M. fabaceus. I had the file name correct, but labeled it incorrectly as M. watsonii in the posting. Oops!

As I neared the river Silene californica was seen frequently in bloom. I know there has been a slight name change on this species. I think that you (all) will know the plant from the name I am using today.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2015, 05:23:30 AM »

Near the bottom of the canyon near Pilot Creek, there are some open grassy areas on the steep slopes. I remembered many interesting plants from my last trip down here many years ago. Asclepias cordifolia has distinctive foliage. The flowers will be blooming in a few more weeks.

These sloping meadows were very dry. Despite being tiny, Mimulus angustatus is a very showy species. With more rain there would have been thousands of them blooming. I saw Clarkias, Annual Lupines, and Madias coming on, but not to many. Blue Dicks (Dichelostemma capitatum) were also blooming in these meadows.

I finally reached the bridge at Pilot Creek, 1,656 feet (505 meters).

Pilot Creek was very low from the drought conditions.

This is a view of Pilot Creek Canyon. From here to Stumpy Meadows is wild country with no trails.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:44:20 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2015, 05:36:59 AM »

Taking the trail, it is a very short distance to the Rubicon River. The bridge to nowhere.

This bridge is still washed out from the 1965 floods and failure of the Hell Hole Dam. The water was so low I could have crossed the river if I wanted to by jumping from stone to stone.

It is a real paradise down here. There are some good places to camp and some delightful pools to swim in, such as this one.

I had limited time so I needed to get back quickly. The terrible photograph for the week, Erythronium multiscapiodeum near Pilot Creek. There were not to many in this area. Just as well as I needed to get up and out of the canyon.

This outing was a 5.21 mile (2.4 km) round trip. Not easy! but well worth the effort as there were many good plants to see despite the 4 years of drought.

Oops, 2.4 km should read 8.4 km   :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:45:54 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
Robert, another fantastic report. I feel I am there with you.  I might have spent all day under the Black Oak, just drinking in that blue sky - though a dip in that pool might have been equally tempting!

I wonder if you are underestimating your distances  in kilometres?  I reckon 5.21 miles would be nearer 8.4 km ? :-\

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
Robert, another fantastic report. I feel I am there with you.  I might have spent all day under the Black Oak, just drinking in that blue sky - though a dip in that pool might have been equally tempting!

I wonder if you are underestimating your distances  in kilometres?  I reckon 5.21 miles would be nearer 8.4 km ? :-\

Greetings Maggi,

The kilometer thing was one of those oops moments. I looked over the scrap of paper with all my math on it and saw that I had the right numbers, I just wrote down the wrong one. Kinda' like the Marah watsonii oops from a few weeks ago. Oh well.  :)  Maybe I spent too much time watching the blue sky and new oak leaves under that beautiful tree. It was heavenly.

I am glad that you liked the report. I do the best I can to make them meaningful.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
It had been very relaxing sitting there under the oak with both of you!

Think I had used a lot more time than you Robert, on any trail you walk. I had used hours to admire the landscape and the plants on every corner of the track.

I like the stem of the Torreya also, thanks for showing!

Robert

« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
Trond,

There was no shortage of Torreya on my last outing. Most grow very closely or through other conifers. I did try a few photographs but they did not show much of interest. This is how it goes sometimes.

I also spent time looking for Violas in bloom, as in general they are early bloomers. I saw many throughout the altitude range of this outing and did not see one plant blooming, in bud, or with spent blossoms. Very strange. Most were Viola lobata. Locally, there are many other locations where this species grows, so I will be very interested to check on them and see what is going on.

There are many choices for next weeks outing. I have much uncertain, given the severe drought conditions, how long this bloom season will last.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
Robert,

So the Torreyas don't make pure stands but mix with other conifers?

Here violets are late spring - early summer growers. Only two - Vv. biflora and rupestris - can be said to be "early" as they flower when the snow melts but that is May/June/July in the mountains!

They look like this:

Although I don't like all the rain we have I don't think I would like your drought any better!

Robert

« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Trond,

I have never seen Torreya in pure stands. On my first outing on the Buckeye Flat Trail I saw a grandmother tree that might have been 20 meters tall! Most are considerably smaller.

I think your Viola photographs are fantastic!  :)  I look forward to seeing more plants from your part of the Earth.

I do remember an article in the NARGS journal about your trip to Kenya, I think? You do get around. These are so many interesting places to visit on the Earth. I am glad that you are able to visit some of these out of the way places and share your experiences with us that do not get around as much. Then, I feel blessed to have such beauty close by........like today.

I took my parents on a ride and brought the camera.  :)

I had 5 minutes by the side of the road and took a few photographs.

Here it is 21 March. Very little snow on the peaks of the Crystal Range. The peaks generally look this way at the beginning of June

Where I pulled off the road at 5,685 ft. (1,733 meters) there was no snow! Generally this time of year there would be 1-3 feet (.3-.9 meters) of snow on the ground at this site. The temperature was a balmy 58 F (14.5 C), way too warm for this time of year.

The conifer on the right, forground is Jeffrey Pine (Pinus jeffreyi). Some of the conifers in the background are Incense Cedar (Calocedrus decurrens)

With a quick look I saw:
Pussypaws (Calytridium umbellatum)
Eriogonum wrightii ssp. subscaposum
Penstemon laetus

There were hundreds, maybe thousands, of Calochortus leichtlinii.

I found one flower bud on Viola purpurea. I am not sure what is going on with the other Viola species farther down the mountain. Something I definitely want to investigate.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:57:33 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal