We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65009 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2015, 12:25:49 AM »
Thursday, 5 March 2015

Weather: Clear

Temperature  High: 72 F (22 C)  Low: 36 F  (2 C)

This outing turned out to be more of a reconnaissance to the south side of the Rubicon River just above Oxbow Reservoir. I checked my journal and found that the last time I visited this area was on 25 March 2002, 13 years ago! Back then I found millions of Erythroniums blooming at the bottom of the canyon, 2,053 feet (626 meters) below.

The Buckeye Flat Trail, if you want to call it that, starts at the canyon rim at 3,450 feet (1,051 meters). This view is to the northwest towards Oxbow Reservoir. A bit over a month ago, I did a reconnaissance of the north side of the Rubicon River hoping to find an easier way to access this area. There is none! This is still very wild country more like the Tsangpo River Gorge.

This view is to the northeast, where I was heading!

At this elevation spring is still to arrive, with the early blooming Arctostaphylos viscida just getting started. There were even a few traces of snow from the storm a few days earlier.

The forest on this north facing slope was predominantly Douglas Fir (Pseudostuaga menziesii), Sugar Pine (Pinus lambertiana), Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa), with a few California Black Oak (Quercus kelloggii) mixed in. There were also a few White Fir (Abies concolor). This is the low end of its altitude range in our area.

California Nutmeg (Torreya californica), pictured, is not a common conifer, however I saw them frequently all the way to the river below. The tips of the needles are very sharp and spiny.

The currents and gooseberries (Ribes) were just starting to leaf out. This is R. roezlii, a common species at this elevation. I also saw R. nevadense. They were just getting ready to bloom, unfortunately the photograph did not turn out. I'll be seeing more of them later this season.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2015, 12:38:48 AM »

Pine Violet (Viola lobata) is common at this elevation. They are early bloomers, however I did not see any flowers yet on this day. I also saw some of the highly variable Viola purpurea.

There are many springs on this side of the canyon. Pacific Fivefinger Fern (Adiantum aleuticum) was one of many fern species seen.

The trail holds up fairly well until about the 2,200 foot ( 670 meters) elevation. From here I had my first look to the old bridge site and my destination.

At this elevation the first of the Erythronium multiscapoideum started to show up.

Most were growing on mossy rocks and on cliff faces.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2015, 01:24:33 AM »

At this point the "trail" starts to become a mess, with many wash-outs and slides. Cynoglossum grande never grows abundantly, however it is not rare and the flowers are so beautiful.

Saxifraga californica was very common on the shady rock faces.

Another beauty as Western Rue Anemone (Isopyrum occidentale).

As I progressed onward, there we many more Erythroniums as well as many other wildflowers.

Also, the "trail" more or less gave out. I carefully worked my way down a rock scree to the river bank below. I was about a mile up stream from the bridge and thought I could work my way down the bank of the river to the bridge. After about 1/2 mile I came to a cliff face that dropped directly into the river. The rock face was wet from the springs seeping from above and the rock was also covered with slippery wet moss. There was no way to safely climb across this rock face, and the water too cold this time of year to swim past this obstacle.

I could retrace my route or maybe I could traverse up and around this cliff. It was 250 feet (76 meters) high or more, not too bad, I would give this a try. This turned out to be very difficult. The best route was still almost vertical, the rocks loose, and slippery. Fortunately there were some saplings and brush that I could use to pull myself slowly up the canyon side. After about 250 feet (76 meters) of climbing the slope became a bit less steep. There was still no way around so I continued up. 

Eventually is brought me back to the trail and this view of the bridge below.

This was not the end of my troubles. I found another "trail" that went in the direction of the bridge. This soon ended in a tangle of brambles and bush. A machete would have been helpful at this point. I was not going to pull this out of my day pack, but I did have a hand pruning shear. Quickly I found that this was not going to be much help. Now that I was in the thick of it, I had to just work my way through this mess.

After much time and effort I finally arrived at a satisfactory trail and this beautiful sight of Waterfall Buttercup (Kumlienia hystricula). I was tired from all the climbing and tore-up and bleeding a bit from the brambles. At least I was now on a trail and very close to the bridge.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:12:36 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:26 AM »

A short hike down the trail and I was at the bridge. 13 years ago there was no planking on the bridge. The planking had never been replaced since the floods of 1965. It did not help that Hell Hole dam, up stream, failed at this time too. That least now there was another way in, although the trail from Pennsylvania Point is not much better or any easier.

A nice view of the Rubicon River.

Now I could look for more Erythroniums. 13 years ago there had been millions in this area. The growth of brush and brambles had buried many of them! A fire that burned off much of the undergrowth would help restore the habitat for all the plants including the Erythroniums.

There were still many, many Erythroniums at this site. Many we on rocks such as these, not blooming.

Those perched on the rock faces had more light and were blooming well.

I still found millions of Erythroniums. I have never found this species in such concentration as here and it was a delight to see so many still growing after 13 years.

Now it was time to get back up and out of the canyon.

Boykinia occidentalis was another species I saw. I was tired and in a hurry. I did not want to be out here in the dark. I have to admit I did not check the stipules so it could have been B. major, another species in this area, never the less a lovely plant.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2015, 02:05:26 AM »

As I started up the tail there were still many blooming Erythroniums to see.

Next time I hope to have more time to examine them more closely.

After 2 hours of fast hiking I arrived at the top of the ridge. Despite the difficulties this was a productive day; 75 species were identified, and many plants to return to soon, such as the violets. I was very pleased to see the Erythroniums again.

About 1/4 of the way down the canyon the Nevada Point trail branches off, with its own habitats to re-explore. Many good places to look forward to.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Thank you for showing ALL your sites and plants (which I enjoy a lot) but
I especially  look forward to the unique violets of your region. A promising start!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2015, 11:55:12 AM »
Well, Robert, don't fall when you are climbing those inaccessible rock faces!

Another exciting hike in a wild landscape with a lot of beautiful plants. The Erythroniums are irresistible!
The violet looks promising and the Isopyrum and Kumlienia are very charming!

I have a California Nutmeg in my garden. It is about 25 years old and has withstood all the bad weather we have had during these years. It is not a seedling but propagated from a cutting. I got it from a friend and he says Torreya roots easily from cuttings. The problem is that they don't develop a proper main stem but behave like a branch if the cutting is from a side shoot.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
Thank you for showing ALL your sites and plants (which I enjoy a lot) but
I especially  look forward to the unique violets of your region. A promising start!

Gerd

Gerd,

Violet season will be starting soon in their lower altitude range, maybe in about 2 weeks. The season may last into June, as it moves up the mountain. I have a considerable number of sites, where violets grow, to visit this season. I may not be able to visit them all, however I am hopeful that it will be interesting and productive.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
Well, Robert, don't fall when you are climbing those inaccessible rock faces!

Another exciting hike in a wild landscape with a lot of beautiful plants. The Erythroniums are irresistible!
The violet looks promising and the Isopyrum and Kumlienia are very charming!

I have a California Nutmeg in my garden. It is about 25 years old and has withstood all the bad weather we have had during these years. It is not a seedling but propagated from a cutting. I got it from a friend and he says Torreya roots easily from cuttings. The problem is that they don't develop a proper main stem but behave like a branch if the cutting is from a side shoot.

Trond,

Taking good photographs was not my strong point on this last outing. Isopyrum and Kumlienia are very beautiful and good photographs would show this. Some of the Isopyrum have lavender colored flowers as well as the white forms generally seen. I also saw a few Lithocarpus densiflora var. echinoides. This variety is rarely seen and has beautiful foliage. That photograph turned out to be a blur. I will be returning to this area, so there is next time. The violets generally have tiny flowers and can be challenging to photograph. I will need to take more care and time as well as several photographs to get one or two to turn out well.

I have grown Cunninghamia and Sequoia sempervirens from cuttings. Both eventually made strong terminal leaders. The Sequoia variety was said to be a dwarf "bird's nest" variety. It was for about 20 years until it made an upright leader. Now it is a tree! Maybe there is still hope for your Torreya.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
Robert in addition to the Erythroniums I thought the star of this week's post was Cynoglossum grande. I'm a sucker for blue flowers and this one is really a very nice blue. Highly likely that Devon will much too wet for it but I wonder if Tim Ingram has tried it in his drier garden. I see that there are two Uk suppliers listed in the Plant Finder.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »
Robert in addition to the Erythroniums I thought the star of this week's post was Cynoglossum grande. I'm a sucker for blue flowers and this one is really a very nice blue. Highly likely that Devon will much too wet for it but I wonder if Tim Ingram has tried it in his drier garden. I see that there are two Uk suppliers listed in the Plant Finder.

David,

I agree, Cynoglossum grande in its best forms is a fabulous plant. It looks every bit as good in the photographs as in person.

Now off to the city, Sacramento. Not my favorite place, but nothing is perfect in this world.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2015, 01:35:25 AM »
I agree, Cynoglossum grande in its best forms is a fabulous plant. It looks every bit as good in the photographs as in person.

That is a spectacular blue flower Robert!
Glad you crossed the Rubicon  ;D safely to show all these wild beauties,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2015, 07:40:23 AM »
Can't disagree with what you say folks. The Pacific hound's tongue (what a name for a stately plant!?) is beautiful, but I try to not fall in love with something unattainable :-\

Robert, I also have a Sequoia from cutting and it produced a strong upright leader in just 3 years. Maybe yours were late because it was from a "bird's nest".

I'm really looking forward to more pictures! Is it possible to get one of a mature Torreya some time?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
Gerd,
Violet season will be starting soon in their lower altitude range, maybe in about 2 weeks. The season may last into June, as it moves up the mountain. I have a considerable number of sites, where violets grow, to visit this season. I may not be able to visit them all, however I am hopeful that it will be interesting and productive.

That's very kind of you and will be extremely interesting indeed!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2015, 01:35:08 AM »
Can't disagree with what you say folks. The Pacific hound's tongue (what a name for a stately plant!?) is beautiful, but I try to not fall in love with something unattainable :-\

Robert, I also have a Sequoia from cutting and it produced a strong upright leader in just 3 years. Maybe yours were late because it was from a "bird's nest".

I'm really looking forward to more pictures! Is it possible to get one of a mature Torreya some time?

Trond,

I think that seed for Cynoglossum grande may become available if it is something that you are interesting in trying out in your garden. You never know.  ;)

Yes, I am sure that I will be able to get some photographs of mature Torreya. I saw many on the last outing. The bark is very distinct and is worth a photograph. The mature trees generally grow in mixed stands with other conifers so getting a good photograph that shows the true character of this species may be challenging. I am more than willing to make the effort.

I will be returning to this area as often as I can. I stopped at the ranger station before my last outing and was assured that law enforcement had cleared out all the marijuana growers and was monitoring the area for any of their activities. Very good news.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:36:54 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal