We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 64991 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:19 AM »
Gorgeous!  :o

And I haven't seen Castilleja foliolosa like that since I was a kid. Absolutely stunning!

Thank you.

Julie,

Yes, the plants are certainly beautiful, all of them. I especially like Castilleja foliolosa. Where did see C. foliolosa when you were young?

Fantastic Robert, i love all your photos and the region's luminosity brings me warmth.

Yann,

I especially appreciate your comment. Finding a way to touch people deeply in a meaningful way through the plants, the vitality of the land, and the photographs of them, helps me feel I am having some success with this endeavor. Thank you so much.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:17 AM »
Where did see C. foliolosa when you were young?

:-\  Well it was probably not C. foliolosa I saw when I was a kid and was more likely C. miniata (all over Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park).

Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

Robert

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
:-\  Well it was probably not C. foliolosa I saw when I was a kid and was more likely C. miniata (all over Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park).

Julie,

I thought that you might have lived in California at one time. Also, another option could have been that the species was more wide spread than I ever dreamed. I learn something new all the time.

The Paintbrushes certainly are beautiful plants. For me, it is still amazing how some of the plants made such an impression on us when we were children. I can still remember seeing Corn Lily (Veratrum californicum) at Lake Sylvia at the base of Pyramid Peak when I was 5 years old. This area still has a deep impression on me to this day. I will be reporting from this area later in the season when the snow melts (what little we have this season).

Thank you your positive comments. I do enjoy checking out other postings on the forum, unfortunately my efforts need to be prioritized and our garden looks sad right now. Everyone is growing such beautiful plants in their gardens.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
Trond,

We have about 6 species of Broomrape in our area at various elevations and in various habitats. I rarely see any of the various species as they seem to like to blend in with the surrounding landscape.

I am not sure how cold hardy Scrophularia californica might be. It is generally found at lower elevations so cold could be an issue for this species. It also grows in somewhat dry areas so this could be an issue too.

Thanks for all your answers, Robert!

Regarding Castilleja: It has come to be one of my favorite genera and I am trying to establish plants here and there. So far only one species has flowered, I think it is C. miniata, at our mountain cabin at 950m.

474291-0

C. foliolosa looks very attractive, but I suppose it is not very cold hardy.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »
I think you have done well to get a Castilleja  flowering Trond-  well done!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ed Alverson

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
There are approx. 115 species of Castilleja native to the lower 48 states of the US, you can get a good idea of their distributions from the county range maps on the BONAP web site: http://bonap.net/NAPA/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Castilleja Many are local endemics. The map shows Castilleja foliolosa to be fairly widespread but still endemic to California.

Ed

{Edit by Maggi to fix link }
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:41:48 AM by Maggi Young »
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Robert

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2015, 01:01:08 AM »
Trond,

I agree with Maggi,you have done well to get Castilleja to grow and bloom.

C. foliolosa grows at the lower elevations so you are correct to question its cold hardiness. Another consideration for C. foliolosa is that it grows in extremely hot, dry locations, but then it is fun and interesting to see what one can get away with. Later in the season, when the snow melts, there will be a whole different set of Paintbrushes for me to be checking on at the higher elevations. They would most likely be cold hardy.

I should be able to get some good photographs of Castilleja miniata. It is a common species at the higher elevations.

Another consideration with Castilleja is who they like to share their roots with. So far, I can see no preference and they even seem to get by with out hitching a ride on another plants roots.

Ed,

Thank you for the technical support! Your input adds a dimension that I am unlikely to ever delve into. I'm sure that the other forumist appreciate your input.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2015, 01:23:06 AM »
Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Weather:  Clear

Temperature  High: 65 F (18C)  Low: 32 F (0C)

The days are getting longer, so after a long and tiring day of work on the farm,  I made a short walk down to the serpentine barrens to see who might be blooming as the sun was still out. It is only .3 miles (.5 km) away, however the road is busy and the drivers crazy, so a quick walk / run was in order for me. The elevation at this site is about 1,455 ft. (443 meters)

Even though the sun was still somewhat high in the sky the Cream Cups (Platystemon californicus) had already closed for the day. This Papaveraceae is an early blooming annual.

The Goldfields (Lasthenia californica), another annual, are just getting started. Despite the on going drought it looks like they will be putting on a good show this year.

The little magenta flower is Red Maids (Calandrina ciliata) blooming with the Cream Cups.

I have already shown photographs of Lomatium utriculatum. Perhaps one can see the rocky soil they prefer to grow in. I almost always see them in hot, dry, rocky sites.

Lewisia rediviva grows here too. The flower buds are coming along well. Not too many flowers this year, at least at this site.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2015, 01:40:34 AM »

There are many plants that I visit year after year. There are a few clumps of Blue Dicks (Dichelostemma capitatum) at the serpentine barrens that I always enjoy visiting. These always seem to produce more flowering stems than any of their neighbors. They are generally kind enough to share some seed with me too.

Mimulus guttatus likes growing in wet areas. The drought conditions are stunting their growth and I am seeing far fewer during these drought years.

I will try to get a better photograph of Butter and Eggs (Triphysaria eriantha). This is one of the first wildflowers I remember seeing as a little boy. I remember them growing in mass in the fields near our family home. I am happy that they are still around.

Saxifraga integrifolia growing at the farm. I like it when "new" wildflowers show up as this one did for the first time this season.

I have another outing planned for this week. At this time I am not sure quite where I will be going, but hopefully it will be fruitful.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »
I think you have done well to get a Castilleja  flowering Trond-  well done!

Trond,

I agree with Maggi,you have done well to get Castilleja to grow and bloom.

C. foliolosa grows at the lower elevations so you are correct to question its cold hardiness. Another consideration for C. foliolosa is that it grows in extremely hot, dry locations, but then it is fun and interesting to see what one can get away with. Later in the season, when the snow melts, there will be a whole different set of Paintbrushes for me to be checking on at the higher elevations. They would most likely be cold hardy.

I should be able to get some good photographs of Castilleja miniata. It is a common species at the higher elevations.

Another consideration with Castilleja is who they like to share their roots with. So far, I can see no preference and they even seem to get by with out hitching a ride on another plants roots.

Thanks Maggi and Robert;-)  I tried sowing in pots both with and without companion plants and the seeds germinated easily but it is seeds sown in situ which have yielded flowering plants.

Plants craving hot weather have no chance here!

Hoy

« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:51 AM »
Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Weather:  Clear

Temperature  High: 65 F (18C)  Low: 32 F (0C)

The days are getting longer, so after a long and tiring day of work on the farm,  I made a short walk down to the serpentine barrens to see who might be blooming as the sun was still out. It is only .3 miles (.5 km) away, however the road is busy and the drivers crazy, so a quick walk / run was in order for me. The elevation at this site is about 1,455 ft. (443 meters)

Glad you took that walk! Some nice plants you have around and many are completely unknown to me as they are rarely in the seedlists or in garden literature, like Butter and Eggs! (Another hemiparasitic plant which looks very cute!)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
From Ed A - Oops, the link doesn't work because of the period at the end - try http://bonap.net/NAPA/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Castilleja

Not to worry, Ed, I fixed it.

Remember Folks:   it is possible to return to edit your own posts for such matters 8)

Robert

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »

Remember Folks:   it is possible to return to edit your own posts for such matters 8)

Maggi,

I'll have to figure that one out!

I have plenty of ooops.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
Can't say I'd noticed any, Robert!

If you spot an "oops" in one of your earlier posts, go to the "modify" button shown to the top right of the post - click on that and the text box opens again for you to edit your posting .  :)

For those whose typing is as bad as mine, it is a real boon!

Robert

« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2015, 01:15:56 AM »
Can't say I'd noticed any, Robert!

If you spot an "oops" in one of your earlier posts, go to the "modify" button shown to the top right of the post - click on that and the text box opens again for you to edit your posting .  :)

For those whose typing is as bad as mine, it is a real boon!

Maggi,

Thank you for the instructions. It looks very easy!

It seems, at times, that I am dealing with may distractions while writing things out. It's all done extemporaneously. I am surprised there are not more mistakes.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal