We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65082 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »
Robert, do all the leaves belong to the Dodecatheon?
Must be nice when they're all in flower!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2015, 04:50:53 PM »
Thursday, 19 February 2015

Weather: Windy, High Clouds with broken stratus / Fog

Temperature High: 70 F (21 C)    Low: 41 F (5 C)

I finally had a few hours to get out. With the warm dry weather, our native plants are breaking dormancy quickly.

This day's outing is a follow up to the lower elevations on the South Fork of the American River. This time near the "new" Salmon Falls bridge.

In this area, both the north facing and south facing sides of the river are dominated by low elevation chaparral. Today, I scouted the sunny south facing side of the river.

90% of the woody chaparral species in this area consist of Chamise (Adenostoma fasciculatum).

There was a fairly good variety of herbaceous and semi-woody perennials, and bulbs in this area. Salvia sonomensis had already started to bloom - about 4 -6 weeks before its average blooming time. Most are various shades of lavender-blue, however I found a very nice pink form today. The photograph did not turn out, but I plan on returning soon and can get a good photograph at that time.

There were many Blue Dicks (Dichelostemma capitatum) already in bloom.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »

My wife was with me today. She likes the appearance of Poison Oak (Toxicodendron diversilobum) and thought that I should include some photographs. It can be quite beautiful, both in the spring with its red tinted new growth, as well as in the late summer / fall with its bright red "autumn" foliage.

It is important to be able to identify this plant at all seasons as it can cause a severe skin rash. Contact at any season can cause the rash. The dormant branches blend in well with the existing chaparral, so careful attention is always advised.

Today I found Lepichina calycina (White Pitcher Sage). The foliage has a pleasant scent, especially in warm weather.

Frying Pan Poppy (Eschscholzia lobbii) were blooming. A very "sweet" annual that I enjoy growing in the garden at the farm.

It was impossible to get a good photograph with the windy conditions. There were a few open sunny sites where they like to grow.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »

There was one small semi-wooded ravine. I was hoping to find Erythroniums as they do grow at this elevation (480 ft. - 146 meters) in shady sites under Oaks and Manzanita.

A terrible photograph of Rhamnus ilicifolia in bloom. This species is commonly found in the chaparral in our part of California. I'll try again.

Sanicula bipinnatifida getting ready to bloom. I could not get a good photograph of the open flowers because of the windy conditions. In my mind it is not a showy species, worthy of cultivation in the garden. I do grow them at the farm in the "wild" areas that we are trying to reclaim the habitat back to its natural state.

The many of the Indian Paintbrush can be very showy. Castilleja foliolosa is a common species at this elevation. They do hybridize with other Castilleja species so sometimes they can be difficult to identify. There can clearly be mixing of the genes, but this does not diminish the beauty of their flowers.

It was good to get out again and I was happy to make the best of my short time out today.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
Another stimulating set of photographs, Robert. I'm glad you found time, even if it was a short trip, to get out. I feel refreshed for seeing you pictures, as I hope you are.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Robert

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
Robert, do all the leaves belong to the Dodecatheon?
Must be nice when they're all in flower!

Trond,

I have been encouraging the Dodecantheon on the farm here for many years. They grow now in the thousands. When we have good rains the show is spectacular.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »
Another stimulating set of photographs, Robert. I'm glad you found time, even if it was a short trip, to get out. I feel refreshed for seeing you pictures, as I hope you are.

Matt,

I am very happy that you find my photo-diary stimulating. I absolutely enjoy getting out and sharing my experiences in the best way that I can. I feel "at home" in the woods, being out is refreshing and revitalizing.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
Another nice hike, Robert!

Do all people react to Poison Oak in the same way or is it differences? Will direct sunlight on the skin worsen the wounds? We have some plants here (Angelica, Euphorbia, Heracleum etc) with sap which will burn the skin especially when exposed to direct sunlight.

What's the main difference between Eschscholzia lobbii and californica except for the color? I once bought seed of lobbii but the plants looked very similar to californica.

Although the flowers of the sanicula are insignificant, the foliage looks great!

Ravines are always interesting!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Ed Alverson

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »
Robert's photo of poison oak brings up the one downside - and it is a major downside - to botanical exploration on the west coast of the US. I believe about 2/3 of the population is susceptible to its oils causing a serious itchy rash, and 1/3 is immune. The only way for a susceptible person to explore the wilds is to be hyper-aware of poison oak, and in particular, avoid touching it with your hands. This is not always easy considering how abundant poison oak can be in many habitats!

A common problem is getting the oil on your hands, and then transferring the oil to your face. Even a small patch on your face can be excruciating, even though a similar patch on your arms or legs is tolerable. It takes at least a week for the rash to go away. For particularly bad cases, a doctor will prescribe a steroid such as prednisone, which is effective but also can have some serious side effects.
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Robert

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:31 AM »
Another nice hike, Robert!

Do all people react to Poison Oak in the same way or is it differences? Will direct sunlight on the skin worsen the wounds? We have some plants here (Angelica, Euphorbia, Heracleum etc) with sap which will burn the skin especially when exposed to direct sunlight.

What's the main difference between Eschscholzia lobbii and californica except for the color? I once bought seed of lobbii but the plants looked very similar to californica.

Trond,

You can read Ed's comments on Poison Oak, as this sums the situation up well. I react terribly to Poison Oak. I have become very good at avoiding it, much like Ishi. I have no fear of this plant friend. It never stops me from getting around, I just have to be mindful of its presence.

Eschscholzia lobbii and E. californica are very different. Some of the most obvious differences are: 1.) E. californica is perennial, E. lobbii is annual, 2.) E. californica grows much larger and has coarse foliage in relation to E. lobbii, 3.) E. californica has a very distinctive "collar" just below the corolla, E. lobbii does not have this.

Ed,

Thank you for all the information about Poison Oak! Anyone hiking in California below 3,500 ft. (1,067 meters), in our region, needs to be aware of its presence.

I was able to get out again today, 23 February. There is much for me to do so I will report on this outing in about 2 days, when I get back from the city (Sacramento). I caught one of my Vulture friends with the camera - upper right hand side of photograph.

This is Erythronium multiscapoideum in the garden getting ready to bloom.  On this outing I found thousands - not blooming yet. Something to look forward to.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Ed Alverson

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:47 AM »
Robert mentions Ishi - some of you following this thread may be interested in learning more about this former resident of the northern California foothills - for a start, see Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishi 
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2015, 05:45:26 AM »
Robert,
you are teasing us with that single Erythronium! ;D
Looking forward to seeing the whole mountainside ablaze with flowers,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
Monday, 23 February 2015

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Temperature   High: 64 F (17.5 C)    Low: 41 F (5 C)

While doing errands on Monday, I decided to drop by and visit some of my old friends (Erythroniums) and visit some new ones. Fortunately these locations are close to the farm making a quick visit easy.

My first stop was Deer Valley to see how the Erythronium multiscapoideum were getting along. I found thousands up and growing under the Arctostaphylos viscida (White Leaf Manzanita) and other chaparral plants. They all seemed happy enough, however few plants are going to bloom this season - maybe 4 years of drought?

They will start blooming shortly so we will see what sort of show they put on this season. Maybe the "tease" is the Erythronium in the Rubicon River Canyon. There they grow in the millions. This will be a little later in the season. Stay tuned!

Next, I as off to the South Fork of the American River at Salmon Falls. This was the same starting point as the 19 February outing. This time I was called to the east, upstream. The habitat has the same general low elevation chaparral, however this time I found many similar as well as different plants.

Many of the plants are well advanced in their spring growth. California Buckeye (Aesculus californica) always starts growth early and generally goes dormant early to survive the dry summer conditions.

Clematis lasiantha was another plant leafing out.

The chaparral can appear uniform and uninteresting, however when one travels into its heart, one can see how alive it is in so many ways. Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja foliolosa) are brilliant in their color among the chaparral shrubs.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »

I enjoy visiting the chaparral in all the seasons. At this time the Redbud (Cercis occidentalis) brighten the chaparral with their cerise colored pea-shaped flowers. If you look closely at the photograph you might be able to see them. To be there is divine!

Early on the trail crosses a creek with its own plant community.

Clarkia were growing in this area. Something to look forward to later in the blooming season. In this area there were Dodecatheon, Nemophila, Saxifraga, and many other species not seen in the chaparral.

Back in the chaparral the Bush Monkeyflower (Mimulus aurantiacus) were just starting to bloom. Like the Paintbrush, this is another plant that one needs to get out into the heart of the chaparral to appreciate fully. When flowering they can be spectacular.

Soap Plant (Chlorogalum pomeridianum) was much used by the California Native Americans. Later in the season a tall stem will arise (to 6 feet, 2 meters) from the rosette producing many small, white, night blooming flowers. I enjoy the dry, ghostly flowering stems in the late summer and fall.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »
I will end this posting sharing my love affair with Salvia Sonomensis.

This is a common species in this type of chaparral community. Good forms bloom profusely.

For me it is a plant of all seasons. The scent of the foliage is fabulous, especially on a warm or hot day.

During the heat of the summer the scent of the foliage is divine especially during the evening twilight, mixing with the scents of the other chaparral plants.

There is more for me to explore in this area. I will be returning frequently as is my custom.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal