We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus nivalis 'Green Light'  (Read 21306 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus nivalis 'Green Light'
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
Back to the original topic, this snowdrop is, I presume, a close relative of 'Green Light'.  I found it close to where 'Green Light' was found, a year later (2005).  The green leaves are very similar, possibly a shade darker.  It has similar green marks on the outer petals.  The flowers are smaller (at least they are this year) and the ovary is more elongated.  It flowers a week or two later ('Green Light' is early).  It is a good vigorous snowdrop and the little clump I photographed derives from natural division of two of the four bulbs I collected in 2005.  It quite often produces a second scape and the second flower often emerges already out of its spathe.

I have fancifully nicknamed this snowdrop 'Green Arrow' because the green mark on the outer petals sometimes resembles the head of an arrow and because I used to collect American comic books as a teenager ('Green Arrow' is the name of a comic-book superhero).
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
'Green Arrow' is a fitting name. Certainly to the point. I must take a walk round the snowdrop woods round Dunblane. I'm waiting for all Martin's hybrids to hit the airwaves, perhaps with names like 'Little Plum' and 'Minnie the Minx'? ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:07 PM »
Who mentioned ovary shape earlier this week? That is some ovary on those snowdrops

Alan no you dont need to be a member of the AGS

Anthony you dont teach on a Sunday do you?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »
8 hour drive.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
one hour by 'plane!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »
And then what?

snowdropman

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »
I have fancifully nicknamed this snowdrop 'Green Arrow'

Alan, I am afraid that you will have to think of another name, in order to avoid confusion, as there is already a snowdrop called g. 'Green Arrow'.

g. 'Green Arrow' was first mentioned by Matt Bishop in, I think, 2002 and Avon Bulbs are selling it, described as "A strange late form with wonderful green marked flowers held at an angle, from an old Somerset orchard".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:06:18 PM by snowdropman »
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
Oh dear.  You seem absolutely sure but can I ask you for your source?  I have the first edition of 'Snowdrops' published in 2001.  Is 'Green Arrow' in the second edition?  I cannot find any reference on the Avon Bulbs web site or using Google to search the internet.  My emergency reserve back-up name would be 'Green Lantern'.  Is that one taken???
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »
Alan,

I have a snowdrop named 'Green Lantern'

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 12:48:19 AM »
I want it! ;D Sorry. Just been out to a fabulous local restaurant (The Sheriffmuir Inn) and have had some Trinidad Puncheon Rum (75% alcohol) so I agree to anything, but honestly, if it sounds good, I want it. I really have been overwhelmed with new snowdrops this season. (Pauses to look at Sneaky the gecko.) Ma heid's loupin' Hey ho!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2008, 05:55:57 AM »
Alan there is a plicatus called Green Lantern

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 06:19:08 AM »
Alan there is a plicatus called Green Lantern

Ruddy heck!  All the good names are taken already!!!  Does anybody have the Avon Bulbs list and/or the second edition of 'Snowdrops' to confirm that 'Green Arrow' is taken (and why is everybody up so late/early and on their computers)?  Scraping the bottom of the barrel in the fictional green hero genre, I have come up with 'Green Hornet'.  DONT tell me that one is already in use!
Almost in Scotland.

snowdropman

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
Oh dear.  You seem absolutely sure but can I ask you for your source?  I have the first edition of 'Snowdrops' published in 2001.  Is 'Green Arrow' in the second edition?  I cannot find any reference on the Avon Bulbs web site or using Google to search the internet.  My emergency reserve back-up name would be 'Green Lantern'.  Is that one taken???
I maintain a Database of snowdrops that are NOT mentioned in the 'Snowdrops' book, which currently contains the names of about 350 snowdrops.

Angela Whinfield told me last April that g. 'Green Arrow' was one of several new and interesting forms mentioned in a talk given by Matt Bishop, about 5 years ago. The description that I gave was from the label of a bulb supplied to me by Avon Bulbs.

As Paddy has already mentioned, I am afraid that your reserve name of 'Green Lantern' is also already taken.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »
Chris, is your Database only privat, or a little bit public for galanthophiles.  I mean too much cultivars, that is one part. The other is the double-naming. "GREEN ARROW" could be such example.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
I am of the opinion that there are already too many named cultivars.  But the procedure to register a name with the Dutch authorities seems to be aimed squarely at the large-scale commercial grower so most named snowdrops are 'unofficial', I imagine.

I chose 'Green Arrow' as a nickname rather than as an attempt to give it an official name.  It might be better described as 'Green Light group 2005' but that is a bit of a mouthful.  It makes for a nice little curiosity amongst my snowdrops and its vigour bodes well for anyone looking for a seed-parent to breed new snowdrops.  It is only slightly different to 'Green Light' and neither has been in cultivation long enough to say which is the better.

I guess I had better try to confirm with Avon Bulbs that they are still using the name 'Green Arrow'.  Any more problems like this and I am going over to the dark side and nicknaming it 'Green Goblin'.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal