We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 23135 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
Luc,

Glad you're enjoying them.  That's why I post them.... I can see them outside in my garden any time!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2008, 08:31:30 AM »
Here's something I picked up just recently, never having seen or heard of it before.....

Hydrangea involucrata.  The buds look so much like Bethel sage (Salvia involucrata var bethellii) that obvious the bud form is the involucrata bit.  ;D  Just love it as they unfold from that tight round bud to the lovely deep blue-purple flowers surrounded randomly by sterile white flowers with purple centres.  It has fuzzy leaves as well, making it stand out even more as a strange Hydrangea.  Great Stuff!!  Also picked up a piece of a double white/pale pink (H. i. 'Hortensis') at the same place, although this is just a rooted runner (Yes, it produces runners, something I've never seen in a Hydrangea before).

Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:33:25 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2008, 09:19:16 AM »
I love your photo of tree ferns in the fog!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
Hydrangea involucrata.  The buds look so much like Bethel sage (Salvia involucrata var bethellii) that obvious the bud form is the involucrata bit.
Paul, I always admired those people who could name a plant in Latin so striking,
that everybody in the whole world knows what it means.
This picture is really a beautiful example of such a plant, seeing how the envelop is opening itself.
Nice pics of the other plants too.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »
Thanks Luit.   8)

Anne, I was pretty pleased with the fernery pics as well.  I really wasn't sure how they'd turn out once onto the computer, but there really wasn't much editing at all other than cropping them a bit to improve the photo arrangement.  It was rather nice in person too, as you could feel that bit of cooling mist on the warm day.  I've seen the misters on before, but never noticed them concentrate into a fog quite so well before.  Glad you liked the pic.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal