We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Thlaspi stylosum--looking for growing conditions  (Read 1409 times)

Robert Pavlis

• Garden Myths
Thlaspi stylosum--looking for growing conditions
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
I had 2 plants of Thlaspi stylosum growing and flowering last year, originally from seed. Then in mid summer they suddenly died. Are these plants long lived? do they normally die after flowering? Any cultural suggestions? Thanks.

I am also planning to grow T. rotundifolium and zaffranii this year, so cultural info on these is also appreciated.
Robert, Guelph, Ont Canada, zone 5
Author of http://www.gardenmyths.com/
Owner of Aspen Grove Gardens

fixpix

Re: Thlaspi stylosum--looking for growing conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
Ok what I can say about this plant is this.
Last year I grew some from seeds, planted the little seedlings among Sempervivum in 3 hypertufa pots at my kitchen window in very light soil - lots of sand, tiny grit and perlite and some soil. They thrived, bloomed, produced seeds and now I can see also some seedlings in the pots. All 3-4 plants are still alive, growing larger, and in fact are blooming (not profusely as in the spring) but still...

OK. Then I sowed some more seeds (left from the first batch). I planted 2-3 plants out in the garden. Raised beds, but the soil was just mixed with larger grit. I kept watering cause hot summer was on them. This may have killed them.
Either too hot or too much water. I watered more when I saw they were withering. I guess they needed less, not more.

All my windows are facing north-ish. Not really sunny spot. But the sempervivum and Thlapsi are doing great.

I am not sure you can find any "advice" in what I wrote. It's just my experience with this lovely plant. I also have a bunch of seedlings now. In a plastic pot, on balcony again, facing north.
ONly the window between them and what the winter brings.
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal