We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 16020 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
December 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
Is it that late already?!
The official start of summer here and we're having a summer storm to celebrate :o
Here's the first flowering on a lovely "new" lilium, 'Lankon' which we got from Adrian at Club Creek Bulb Farm
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: December 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
First day of summer, but where is it? ???
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »

Oh Fermi that is beautiful. I love Liliums and that's a beauty. I'm working towards building a collection in the future... by the time I retire I might have flowers like yours.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
Much excitement on Monday (and a very hurried clean-up of the "public" parts of the house) before a 3 hour-notice visit from Ann and Ian (of the Christie kind). Steve N is a honey but is so casual about some things he forgets one needs to know in advance of certain things!

Anyway, it was great to see the Christies and have a decent chat, then I was able to go south to one of Ian's talks and will hear another tomorrow in Dunedin, hosted by my own group, Otago Alpine Garden Group. I think they have had an enjoyable time in NZ and have certainly seen some good gardens (this one definitely a work in progress) and will see something of our native flora too before they go home to Scotland. They have been very welcome and I'm sure we are all saying to them, "Haste Ye Back." :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
I was more than a little disparaging about Galanthophilia, while we were having a cuppa, but Ian showed some of his own plants at Monday evening's talk in Balclutha and for the first time ever, I could see how the obsession could take hold. He showed many I'd never seen even on the Forum, some of them so very differently marked and so very attractive, that I'll never again make pejorative comments about the lack of variation among these little green and white jobs. ;D So sorry Ian. Given the opportunity, would I travel many miles to a Galanthus Gala or other event such as we hear about in the UK and elsewhere? By golly, I think I actually would! ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:24:00 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
Ian the Christie Kind is a silver-tongued devil, Lesley - you have clearly fallen for his charm - I expect in a few days you will regain your senses!  ;D ;) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
I'll have my first trip south next week. A friend visiting, so I'm giving him "the trip of a lifetime". Alas, no botanising, but plenty of photo opportunities.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Lesley - one can be quite ambivalent about snowdrops and Galanthophilia until you actually start seeing them established in gardens and naturalised in woodland, and then that discriminating eye takes hold. If you are a nurseryman then more mercenary motives begin to come into play :D. I have a friend who views(ed) them in the same way as you until he discovered that he grew 10 or 20 different snowdrops that various friends had given him over the years, and his attitude softened. I suspect a lot of people view our obsession with alpines (and maybe plants in general) with similar puzzlement. Perhaps finding plants so interesting is difficult to understand, and we can be a bit snobbish when we succeed in growing Galanthus platyphyllus or krasnovii (neither of which by the way I grow :(. It's good to be in at the start of a growing interest in them - in the UK you need to have a collection of several hundred before you really become a member of the Galanthophile intelligentsia!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
.......................... or Galanthophile Glitterati maybe ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »
Ha ha David - that may be too much of an 'in' joke. There is though a difference between the terms 'Glitterati' and 'Intelligentsia' - I prefer the latter.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:10:19 PM by Tim Ingram »
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »

Not much danger of us South Australian's reaching the levels required to join your prestigious intelligentsia! Galanthus are as rare as hens teeth here, if I meet a gardener who even knows what a snowdrop is I'm suitably impressed! I hope mine survive this coming summer which is shaping up to be a doozy. This is really not the climate for them.

Sprekelia formosissima never fails and always surprises.

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
in the UK you need to have a collection of several hundred before you really become a member of the Galanthophile intelligentsia!

Hmmm,  I am reminded of that quote " never mind the quality, feel the width"  from an old TV show featuring a couple of old tailors.   I'm more of a believer in the former  - collections of several hundred cultivars of anything - often acquired very quickly- smack more to me of train-spotting than plantsmanship!

Cynical ? Me? Yes!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »

Sprekelia formosissima never fails and always surprises.

Combination of colour and shape that speaks volumes about richness and elegance.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 08:16:16 PM »
Jamus - from seeing the contributions from down under I think you already have a gardening intelligentsia which we benefit from all the time :) I would love to grow that Sprekelia in the garden. (The real thing about snowdrops is how they bring gardeners together and it's always nice to have something special of your own to exchange with another gardener).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:19:43 PM by Tim Ingram »

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 04:41:24 AM »
Jamus , don't despair .You too will have drifts of Galanthus in yourgarden in years to come . I started with just one or two bulbs each of a handful of species and cultivars over 50 years ago - that was all that was available then in Australia and only grown by very few enthusiasts . My garden here in the Dandenong Ranges just outside of Melbourne ( altitude circa 500m ) seems ideal for snowdrops .They grow like weeds and have multiplied , in their thousands of circa 80 species and cultivars . What altitude are the Adelaide Hills ? you should have success too , as here we get the odd day in summer when the temperature climbs to 40 C.

Good luck ,    Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal