We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: List of early-flowering snowdrops  (Read 41977 times)

MR GRUMPY

Re: List of early-flowering snowdrops
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
I have 'Mary Biddulph' just about to flower. That doesn't seem to be on the list? Is this unusually early?
I've grown 'Mary Biddulph'for a few years now.Here are my flowering dates,(08/02/08),(23/01/09),(12/02/10),(28/01/11),(06/01/12),(02/02/13),(05/01/14).I wouldn't call it early. ;)

Hope that is some use for your list?,Alan.
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
It is a very useful list, thank you for your work Allan!
But for me it will be even more useful if it could be sorted according to flowering time and not alphabetical.
This is maybe too difficult, and I will be glad if you could mention the 3 earliest flowering.

Peter Gatehouse have been flowering here for some weeks, Barnes is in bud and and flower buds are just visible in Three Ships.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
Hi Hoy I have some Reginae Olgae which are still in flower & have a few seed cases on them, if I can get them to ripen I'll send you some.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »
But for me it will be even more useful if it could be sorted according to flowering time and not alphabetical.
This is maybe too difficult, and I will be glad if you could mention the 3 earliest flowering.

Peter Gatehouse have been flowering here for some weeks, Barnes is in bud and and flower buds are just visible in Three Ships.

I think this would be very difficult and my guess is flowering varies between gardens. My Three Ships is just coming through as are my Peter Gatehouse. My Barnes are over.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »
Hi Hoy I have some Reginae Olgae which are still in flower & have a few seed cases on them, if I can get them to ripen I'll send you some.

John, that's very kind of you. I appreciate that very much!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
Some other suggestions to discover which 'drops are flowering early -

1)   make a search of some of the cultivar names mentioned already here  ( from the "Search" Button, fourth from the left in the set of options  towards the top of the page)- and opting to search only in the Galanthus thread.

2)  make a search -( or just look through the forum section  for Galanthus) for the Galanthus threads from, says, October in any given year and you'll find the ones which recur.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
No problem Hoy happy to share.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
An interesting thread Alan - thanks for starting it.  I had my first ever success with reginae olgae in the ground (last year no flower this year three flowers).   I was very happy.

Then i had Remember Remember and now Tilebarn Jamie, Hollis about to flower what i believe to be Frinton Advent.

The reason i say 'believe to be' is because a creature of the night pulled 20 pots from my cold frame a few weeks ago.  There were chewed pots, labels, soil and bulbs everywhere :(   I gathered everything up and repotted keeping the muddled labels to hopefully identify.  No bulbs appear to have been eaten so i am just guessing it may have been the bonemeal in my mix that attracted them.   Any ideas anyone?

Will take a photo of "Frinton Advent" tomorrow as it is flower now.

Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
Hi Jennie, nice to hear from you.  I've added 'Frinton Advent' to the list, although the only references I could find to it were your post in 2013 and the sales list here http://www.snowdropman.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Andrews-snowdrops-Jan2014.pdf.  If it flowers at Xmas then it just makes the end of the list.

Since I only own a very few of these snowdrops myself, it is difficult to rank them in flowering order.  I do now have 'Peter Gatehouse' in several spots in my garden and this year the flowering time varied by several weeks from one position to another.  I also have two bulbs of 'Remember Remember' in the same pot.  One flowered and finished about two weeks ago whilst the other is still in bud!  Steve's superbly well-documented flowering times for 'Mary Biddulph' caused me to reject that suggestion - but keep them coming please.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 08:44:25 AM »
Since I only own a very few of these snowdrops myself, it is difficult to rank them in flowering order.  I do now have 'Peter Gatehouse' in several spots in my garden and this year the flowering time varied by several weeks from one position to another.  I also have two bulbs of 'Remember Remember' in the same pot.  One flowered and finished about two weeks ago whilst the other is still in bud! 

...and that hits the problem smack on.  Since I moved my 'Barnes' from a cold spot in the front garden to a warm spot in the back garden it has flowered at the same time as everyone else.  This made weeks of difference in flowering time so it very much depends on soil and situation I think.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tim Harberd

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
Hi Alan,
   The best solution to smoothing out variations in different garden environments is to adopt the Peony Bloom Time Project’s model

http://peonybloomdate.com/description.htm

Where cultivars are ranked in days, before or behind, a commonly grown standard cultivar. Mind you, collating that sort of data is a huge amount of work for '''someone''' to volunteer to do!

In the case of early snowdrops.. If everyone reported how many days in front or behind ‘Three Ships’ their other cultivars flowered. Then an average difference for each cultivar could be produced.. And from that, a chronological list!

Tim DH

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »
Almost in Scotland.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
I have Galanthus 'Spring Greens' in bud.

Cannot find any details of this snowdrop, but the name seems odd for one flowering early winter.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
For me in Belgium Galanthus elwesii 'Donald Simm's early' (zie snowdrops book) and Galanthus plicatus 'colossus' are always bloom before new year.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
I have Galanthus 'Spring Greens' in bud.

It's in 'The Book'.  It's one of Primrose Warburg's and the name alludes to the fact that the leaves are very well-developed at the early time of flowering.  But I don't think it is early enough to make the list, if 'January' is accurate.

Similarly, Ruben, I think 'Colossus' is slightly later than 'Three Ships' so just misses my arbitrary cut-off.  I don't know about 'Donald Simm's Early' - can anyone else vouch for it?  I might make an additional list of 'near-misses' anyway.

Later edit: The snowdrop in question turned out to be 'Donald Sims' Early' and made the list
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:43:41 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal