We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eucomis vandermerwei  (Read 777 times)

Palustris

Eucomis vandermerwei
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
Did a search on this plant, but cannot find any information on when to sow seeds. Now or Spring?
TIA

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Re: Eucomis vandermerwei
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
Silverhill seeds (http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za) says " Sow spring" and Plantzafrica (http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantefg/eucomisvandermerwei.htm) says "Sow the seeds 3–4 mm deep in early summer, in the same medium recommended for adult bulbs, and water regularly with a fine rose. Germination of fresh seeds takes place within 3–4 weeks and flowers can be expected in the fourth year."
I have no experience with this plant.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

SJW

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »
Did a search on this plant, but cannot find any information on when to sow seeds. Now or Spring?
TIA

It's a summer-growing species so I'd probably wait until Spring.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

ArnoldT

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:04:46 AM »
Mine here in New Jersey grows during the summer months.  Just now going dormant.  Sits in a four inch pot outside on a stone wall. Gets full sun.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

meanie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 07:10:07 AM »
I've never grown this species, but I have collected seed from a couple of other species and failed miserably - until now. In the past I tried heated propagators, greenhouse, warm windowsill and coldframe. Yet the same much older seed is now germinating like cress here..........

(you can just make out the bags to the right of the photo)

They're in placcy bags on cotton wool. Probably the wrong time of year, but it was an experiment. It has the added advantage of being safe from squirrel attacks  ;D
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Palustris

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »
Thanks folks.
The other species that I have, self seed all over the place so never bothered to sow them formally.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal