We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The 'Drop Out  (Read 14719 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: The 'Drop Out
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
But my copy of The 'Drop Out says:

Images and text are copyright Joe Sharman and should not be reproduced without permission.

I would have thought that would include a scanned or photographed copy.  If Uwe is correct and the intention is to offer it for sale then we should not be distributing scanned copies (nor asking for them) any more than we should do with books or magazines.  Even if this one is a free trial copy, surely Joe should be consulted for permission?   
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
I've got a copy  ;D

It does say do not reproduce copies without permission
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »
But Alan if we have not even seen a copy how are we to know not to ask for a copy???????????????????????
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
But Alan if we have not even seen a copy how are we to know not to ask for a copy???????????????????????

A rather clever point, Chas!

Chas and I were asking for a private copy to be shown to us. We are not asking for the copy to be shown here ( nor should it be without Joe's permission) nor for any public or commercial use to  be made of the item. 
 If future "issues"  are to be printed then I assume that Chas, like myself, is interested to know whether or not we might wish to order them.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »
I've always wanted the index from the second edition of 'Snowdrops', the one where all the names are in full alphabetical order rather then ordered by species and then alphabetically.  Are we saying if I asked somebody to photocopy that for me it would not be infringing the copyright?  Because then I would not need to buy the book so that could be £60 not going to Griffin Press and thence (in part) to Messrs. Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw.  But then I didn't buy the second edition and have no intention of doing so because I have the first edition and don't want to pay £60 just for the benefit of a better index.

I never asked because hitherto I assumed I would be asking the donor to infringe the copyright.
Almost in Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »
If you look at the letter of the law, even private copies are prohibited, else we could all look at "private copies" of pirated films or books without that being a crime.
And Chas, you can know there are copies of something without having seen them, I know there are copies of "Fifty shades of Grey" without ever having seen one.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 07:35:28 PM »
But until Alans post, no one on here, I would guess,would even know that it was copywritten.Not as with the monograph which would as a large book would have copyright
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

brianw

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »
I've always wanted the index from the second edition of 'Snowdrops', the one where all the names are in full alphabetical order rather then ordered by species and then alphabetically.the benefit of a better index.

I never asked because hitherto I assumed I would be asking the donor to infringe the copyright.
I thought it was just me that thought the species sequence was rather pointless. You could borrow the book and make your own copy. The RHS library loan books but not through Hyde Hall I think, so postage would be costly. (assuming RHS membership) Maybe some nice member will send you a copy now, without you asking.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
But until Alans post, no one on here, I would guess,would even know that it was copywritten.Not as with the monograph which would as a large book would have copyright

All originally created content is automatically copyrighted....the © is just for show. Under the "Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works" the creation of the work automatically establishes copyright.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
But my copy of The 'Drop Out says:

I would have thought that would include a scanned or photographed copy.  If Uwe is correct and the intention is to offer it for sale then we should not be distributing scanned copies (nor asking for them) any more than we should do with books or magazines.  Even if this one is a free trial copy, surely Joe should be consulted for permission?   

Yes,  and Mark is in full contact with Joe and so in a position to ask him.  If the idea is to have a free trial copy to tempt the purchase of future copies, then it is likely that the idea is to spread the word. Copyright is basically to prevent the re-use or re-sale of another person's intellectual property for  unfair commercial gain or to circumvent the earnings of the copyright holder.  No such intention is meant here.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »
I'll ask if I can show a page or two
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
I'll ask if I can show a page or two
I had imagined you would be asking Joe if you could share with the likes of Chas and myself, Mark -  there is no worry if he doesn't want that  or want it shown here. We are,after all, only trying to help with publicity. If it's not wanted, that's fine.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »
I too thought Mark would ask Joe before distributing any copies; it's common courtesy irrespective of the legal position.  But I also thought it best that this was made explicit.

And really I was trying to hint that Griffin Press could extract a pound or two from me for a copy of the amendments that went into the second edition of 'Snowdrops' if they wanted to take that business opportunity.

Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
And really I was trying to hint that Griffin Press could extract a pound or two from me for a copy of the amendments that went into the second edition of 'Snowdrops' if they wanted to take that business opportunity.

:) 8) cool idea!

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
That is the best solution, I'm sure Joe won't mind to publish a couple of pages or even to share with people. The point I was trying to make, was about respect for the owner of the copyright, it's just as nice to ask for permission.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal