We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pronunciation dilemmas for Galanthophiles ('Poculiform' etc.)  (Read 6873 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Correct pronunciation of 'Poculiform'?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 07:20:17 AM »
Likewise, but how does she say 'poculiform'?  I see a distinction between the way one would pronounce a familiar term like tomato, which is down to accent, and the way one would tackle an unfamiliar term that you have read and never heard spoken.  Reading this thread has convinced me that whoever coins a new term ought to give guidance on how they would like it to be pronounced.

For example, a controversial new word in the snowdrop world is 'pterugiform' which was coined at the instigation of Mark Brown.  In piece of online correspondence he writes

I am sure that some will prefer to go the road of pocs instead of poculiforms and thus terries instead of pterugiforms...

which helps quite a bit (confirming that the p is silent) but is the 'u' long as in 'pure' or 'short' as in 'rug'?  If anybody here knows Mark they should ask him.       
Almost in Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »
And what about Schizostylis? As in Schizocodon presumably? But then why Skit so phrenia instead of Schi zo phrenia?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
But then why Skit so phrenia instead of Schi zo phrenia?

The jury is split on that  :) ;D :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 10:20:38 AM »
Skit so phrenia instead of Schi zo phrenia?

Apparently the term by coined by the Swiss psychiatrist Eugen Blauer in a lecture he gave in Berlin (so presumably in German).  Seemingly it took a long time for the term to be adopted into English by which time it had presumably acquired a pronunciation more consistent with German.
Almost in Scotland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »
..... This is what I suspected and I agree with phyllum being pronounced fill-um ......
For my sins I spent nearly 50 years in the company of professional biologists (in the UK) & never once heard 'phyllum' (actually  phylum) pronounced fill-um.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Likewise, but how does she say 'poculiform'?  I see a distinction between the way one would pronounce a familiar term like tomato, which is down to accent, and the way one would tackle an unfamiliar term that you have read and never heard spoken.  Reading this thread has convinced me that whoever coins a new term ought to give guidance on how they would like it to be pronounced.

For example, a controversial new word in the snowdrop world is 'pterugiform' which was coined at the instigation of Mark Brown.  In piece of online correspondence he writes

which helps quite a bit (confirming that the p is silent) but is the 'u' long as in 'pure' or 'short' as in 'rug'?  If anybody here knows Mark they should ask him.     
She pronounces it "poc-coo-li-form". I would say "poc-queue-li-form".
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
For my sins I spent nearly 50 years in the company of professional biologists (in the UK) & never once heard 'phyllum' (actually  phylum) pronounced fill-um.

But that's the whole point.  A word that you have heard for 50 years is pronounced the way you have heard it pronounced for 50 years, irrespective of whatever the 'correct ' pronunciation should have been.  It's the new and rarely-spoken words that present the problems.

My original question is about a word that, as I learned yesterday, has been used as a descriptive term for a type of snowdrop since 1880.  It features in talks from time-to-time and so there might well now be a pronunciation established by tradition, even if that tradition is a weak and thin one.  But, surprisingly, nobody has come forward with the answer: "Well I've always said ..."     
Almost in Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
I have always pronounced Lavandula as "La -VAN-dew-la", but when I was studying at Hadlow College on of the lecturers always pronounced it as "La-van-DEW-la". Does it really matter?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
... Does it really matter?

Tomayto tomahto, eh?
Almost in Scotland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
It's the new and rarely-spoken words that present the problems.
If they are "rarely spoken" then not much of a problem for most people.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
I concede there is a 'fuss-over-nothing' point of view but if I had to stand up to give a talk, I would not want to stumble over how to pronounce an unfamiliar word and put myself off.  Emma's tutor was undoubtedly correct that the best thing to do is to speak confidently and not worry but that's easier said than done.  And anyway I'm just plain curious to know if there is an accepted 'right' answer. 

I found an old article here http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15364/15364-h/15364-h.htm addressing the issue of "THE PRONUNCIATION OF ENGLISH WORDS DERIVED FROM THE LATIN" but this just served to indicate than any rules there might be are frequently broken.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
If you were to give a talk then surely you would explain what the term meant and nobody would then be confused - pronunciation is not an issue.  If you are really worried ring Joe ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »
Come to New Zealand. We have to pronounce Maori words exactly right or .... but English is massacred! Add words from other languages and you have no chance. Foy-er; two door cars suddenly become hen houses (i.e. coupé becomes coup); we have chilli con carn; my dog is a whymarayner; my son's friend is fed up having his country called an apple product - i-Raq pronounced eyerack, and where the heck is LOS Vegas!? I cringe when a new player come on to a sports field for his "day-boo" or worse, "d'boo".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:35:45 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
If you are really worried ring Joe ;)

I'm not amongst the select few who actually know Joe Sharman's telephone number.  When he called me a few weeks ago his number was withheld - which meant he was quite lucky that I picked-up the phone at all.

I'm pretty sure that Joe says poc-yule-iform (i.e. with the 'u' sound long and stressed).  I'm also pretty sure that 'pocul' should be pronounced with a short u and the stress on 'poc' if you are attempting to say it as scholars think the Romans did.  And since starting this thread I have come to realise that if a majority of people use a particular pronunciation then that is de facto correct.  Heaven knows, we may one day all be pronouncing 'nuclear' as 'new-killer' - as a significant minority already do. 
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm not amongst the select few who actually know Joe Sharman's telephone number.  When he called me a few weeks ago his number was withheld - which meant he was quite lucky that I picked-up the phone at all.

" Telephone 01954 251555 (answerphone)
Email info@monksilvernursery.co.uk  Please include a contact telephone number "

(Can be a risky business to ignore all "withheld " numbers - for instance, I know when a Doctors' surgery phones the number is with held. !)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:02:12 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal