We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 19819 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:56:04 AM »
For me it has been too long since I've been able to visit the mountains. A month, or maybe more.  :(

Today was a good day as I finally had a few hours to hike. Also, the vacation season is over and school is in session so the mountains are relatively empty of crowds - a good thing for someone like me who dislikes and avoids crowds - and cities and a few other things like that.

454966-0

I was hoping to gain elevation as quickly as possible. Grouse Lake trail seemed a good bet. The high peaks are just a few miles away. It is also a steep hike!

454968-1

Down in the flats there were still a few Aster occidentalis in bloom. One I also like in the garden down at the farm, where it is still blooming too. Very sweet!  :)

454970-2

A view to the northwest as I make the accent.

454972-3

Another view on the way up the mountain.

454974-4

A view as I still work my way up the mountain.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

Re: Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:16:32 AM »
454976-0

I only had an hour in each direction. 6,900 ft. to 8,100 ft. and Grouse Lake in an hour!

454978-1

Grouse Lake and now to look around -sadly with a limited amount of time.

454980-2

Some very sweet little Gentiana newberryi. Growable for me down at the farm.

454982-3

Aster alpigenus var. andersonii. I guess that I like our native plants as this is still another growing and doing well down at the farm.

454984-4

The wind was blooming like crazy! I did get this photograph of Phyllodoce breweri in bloom. Kind'a blurry!  :P I guess that it forgot that it was September.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 01:26:58 AM »
454986-0

Driving down the road there are many Epilobium canum in bloom.

454988-1

Some are much better than others. This one is quit good. An old friend - growing at the farm with all its other Epolobium friends.

For me a good day.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:33:22 AM »
The wind must be crazy if it's blooming. Maybe it will settled down and blow.  :-[ Whao am I tired! Not the hike - harvest season!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »
What are you bringing in Robert ?
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

Robert

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
What are you bringing in Robert ?

jandals,

I value your question, unfortunately I'm not sure that I get it. I'll give it a try anyway. If this is not what you are looking for maybe you can give me some clarification.

What am I bringing in?

I farm - I just finished up stone fruits and am now starting in on apples and pears that will be finished in early November. Vegetable crops are on going each week. We are having a serious drought and I have been using my water allocations late in the season rather than early so there is much fall planting to do for the winter / late winter season.

I have a feeling this is not what you were looking for. I regret that I do not have a broad international understanding. I apologize! I do not mean any disrespect.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:58:42 AM »
I think that's all he would've been asking, Robert.
Not even a kiwi would be rude enough to ask what income you'd be earning! ;D
(That is another interpretation of "What are you bringing in"!)
Thanks for posting these pics! I enjoy seeing plants from your area as I have some hope of growing them here :D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
I think that's all he would've been asking, Robert.
Not even a kiwi would be rude enough to ask what income you'd be earning! ;D
(That is another interpretation of "What are you bringing in"!)
Thanks for posting these pics! I enjoy seeing plants from your area as I have some hope of growing them here :D
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

Thanks for setting me straight! Sometimes I feel like I can be such a dummy. Very embarrassing.  :-[

I am glad that you enjoy seeing our native plants. I certainly enjoy using them in the garden. I use our native annuals, Lupinus, Mimulus, etc., with spring bulbs - I hope that I can have some good photos of this come (our) spring. I think that many of our natives would grow without much help on your part in our part of the world.

I love seeing the photos of all your bulbs. It is very inspiring!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
Thanks Fermi . That was what I meant and I appreciate your translating

I had just come in from a day in the field and really empathized with Robert because I was tired too . It hasn't rained here for 3 weeks now (unusual this time of year) so not a lot of time off

Robert - This year I didn't travel to the USA and I'm missing both the plants and the people . Thanks for posting pictures from your trips . I harvest a wee bit myself (perennial seeds) so when you said you were busy harvesting my ears perked up . I hope the season was a good one for you

I grow quite a few plants from the western USA all from seed I collected over your way and they enjoy the more benign climate here . It's also nice to have plants that have memories attached

Hope you get a bit more time for hiking now and keep posting
-Cheers
Steve

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »
It seems to me this thread just shows what a broad International understanding there is on this Forum. Really nice to see these plants in the wild - we lack such dramatic scenery down in the south of England but we have plenty of fruit and vegetable farming and it is easy to empathise with the hard work involved. Several farmers I know are also pretty passionate gardeners - the two are very little different. Hope to see more pictures of the Sierra Nevada.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:24:28 AM »
Thanks Fermi . That was what I meant and I appreciate your translating

I had just come in from a day in the field and really empathized with Robert because I was tired too . It hasn't rained here for 3 weeks now (unusual this time of year) so not a lot of time off

Robert - This year I didn't travel to the USA and I'm missing both the plants and the people . Thanks for posting pictures from your trips . I harvest a wee bit myself (perennial seeds) so when you said you were busy harvesting my ears perked up . I hope the season was a good one for you

I grow quite a few plants from the western USA all from seed I collected over your way and they enjoy the more benign climate here . It's also nice to have plants that have memories attached

Hope you get a bit more time for hiking now and keep posting
-Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the positive feedback! I really appreciate it. Yes, it is a real grind on the farm now, especially with the 38 c heat right now. I've had enough of it for this season!

I get into the mountains every chance I can find, so the posting will continue.

I would love to see some photos of your California native plants growing in your home garden - as the season progresses.

Yes - Cheers! (this seems very appropriate)

P.S. My great-great grandfather had a shoe factory in Auckland, New Zealand.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
It seems to me this thread just shows what a broad International understanding there is on this Forum. Really nice to see these plants in the wild - we lack such dramatic scenery down in the south of England but we have plenty of fruit and vegetable farming and it is easy to empathise with the hard work involved. Several farmers I know are also pretty passionate gardeners - the two are very little different. Hope to see more pictures of the Sierra Nevada.

Tim,

Thanks for the positive feed back. I have to admit that going to the mountains is rejuvenating for me. Some positive feedback occasionally is appreciated too.

Ya' know, nature is in constant change, so there are those pleasant surprises in the wild plant world from time to time. It's good to get them on "film" too. And maybe some seed to share around too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:18 AM »
Great to see pictures of your hike, Robert!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »
Will send some American plant pictures later Robert but here is an old slide picture of Sedum oreganum , a few Kniphofia and our cat

Robert

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
Great to see pictures of your hike, Robert!

Lori,

Thanks! I like your hikes too - hope to see much more!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal