We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 19983 times)

jandals

• the waddleler
Re: Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »
I'm enjoying the pictorial diary Robert .

I love manzanitas and a few years ago I had a great weekend in the hills around Cave Junction OR with Sean Hogan who introduced me to these wonderful shrubs . Would really like to try Arctostaphylus glandulosa

Some of my American plants are flowering and I will try for some pictures soon . Geum triflorum from the Mount Ashland area is flowering as well as some Rhodiola from WY . I've just realised that the only seed I have collected in California was Lewisia oppostifolia richeyi (which I donated to the SRGC seedex) and the plants were only 6 to 12 feet south of the survey mark that indicated the Oregon-California border . So I don't grow any plants from California seed at present

This weekend is the first flower foray in the hills here in NZ and I'm looking forward to it

Keep up the good work
-Steve
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 04:49:54 AM »
Lovely and interesting set of pictures as usual Robert.

I'm resolved to try some of the others from seed in pots as they grow on with a very sandy mix as I'm sure my garden will be too 'claggy' for them.

David,

For whatever it is worth, I grow my containerized Penstemon with the following mix: 4 parts 8mm lava rock, 1 part sand, 1 part 8mm - minus fir bark humus. This drains so quickly that I can water the pots every day all summer long, yet it holds just enough moisture that they can last the day without needing extra water even when it is 40c.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the good words and encouragement. They come at a time when I really need it!

Getting out into nature is certainly enjoyable. I hope that we can see photographs of your foray. I've never been to New Zealand and some photographs are about as close as I may ever get.

You seem to be interested in California plants. You ought to PM if you would like to trade seed. I do have limits as to what I can take on, however thinking ahead for next seed season I would enjoy helping out if this is of interest to you.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 05:32:01 AM »
The rest of Mondays adventure continued down the ridge line northward in a seasonal creek drainage.

The serpentine ends quickly to the red clay soil of the Sierra Foothills. This band of soil follows the length of the Sierra, north to south, from the foothills above Bakersfield, California to the Redding and Red Bluff area at the north end of the Sacramento Valley. The names Redding and Red Bluff are derived from this soil color.

As the soil changes and the slope slants more steeply to the north the forest thickens. California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii (pictured), Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa), and Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) become the dominate forest trees.

California Bay (Umbellularia californica, pictured) is one of the "understory" trees. The scent of the foliage fills the forest. There are many other shrubs, vines and annuals/ perennials that grow in this habitat - various ferns, Trillium, Azalea, Violets and much more.

Other trees of this type are Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophylla, pictured) and Madrone (Arbutus menziesii). The peeling bark of Madrone is quite attractive. Sorry no photo it turned out blurry.

After crossing the dry creek bed, I worked my way up the next ridge and around to drop down in this Gray Pine forest (Pinus sabiniana).
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:32 AM »

One of my favorite places to stops is a rock bench where this grand old manzanita grows. There is a wonderful view over the Traverse Creek - Bear Creek Valley.

Under the manzanita grows a nice patch of Iris hartwegii. I've only seen the yellow forms in this area, however there are purple - blue forms too that grow in other areas.

In the bottom of the valley is Traverse Creek - still with a good head of water in it after 3 years of drought and the end of the dry season. The hips of Rosa woodsii look good at this season. This species likes moisture and grows on the banks of the creek. It is found throughout western North America.

Near the end of the hike I found this Silene californica blooming - way out of season. At first I thought that I had found a good compact form of this species. They generally grow leggy and stringy. After closer inspection I could see that it had grown leggy and this was regrowth after deer browse. Still something for me to keep in mind when growing this species back a the farm.

I end this with Eschscholzia californica - our State Flower and so common worldwide. I can see why it is the state flower, it is such a beauty and is the first wildflower to bloom in the spring and the last to quit in the fall.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
30 October 2014

65 F (18c)

Partly Cloudy

It is hard to believe that this could be the last trip to the high country this fall. 65 F (18c) is mild for this time of year, and yet, tomorrow there might be up to 1 ft (30cm) or more for new snow. Very good news for us - very much needed snow!

An autumn scene at my first stop near Old Iron Mountain, 5,800 ft. (1,768 meters)

Eriogonum wrightii blooms late in the season. Some of the plants had some ripe seed as well as a few open flowers.

This tiny California Black Oak (Quercus Kelloggii) with a beautiful red leaf.

There was not anything new to see at the first stop, so I continued higher to 7,615 ft. (2,300meters)

The fall color was generally over however this Salix lemonii still looked nice.

Huckleberry Oak (Quercus vaccinifolia) is thick in this area and it is very difficult to move thought its stiff branches. My time would be better spent moving higher.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »

Silver Lake and the mountain ridge above.

I still had some distance to travel to get to the higher peaks.

Round Top Peak covered with a bit of snow from some earlier storms.

When I arrived at the summit there was snow on the ground - luckily not much.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »

At 8,600 ft. (2,521 meters) the meadows were already asleep and ready for winter.

Moving higher there were some Quaking Aspen (Populus tremuloides) with there beautiful fall foliage.

Penstemon procurus - there was still a tiny amount of seed on some of the plants.

Lupinus lepidus var. sellulus, or Lupinus lobbii for short. The foliage of Torrey's Lupine has long silky hairs - to me very beautiful.

I moved up the back side of a north facing ridge and finally reaches the 9,000 ft. (2,743 meters) elevation. I enjoy going out at all times of the year and getting familiar with the plants in all their seasons. This time of year there is nobody around which suits me well. The scenery is fantastic!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 01:15:31 AM »
In the snow there we tracks from a cougar. Maybe a day old, however I kept a lookout for the big cat.

There are 4 or 5 Eriogonums in this area. This trip I saw E. marifolium frequently. Many had nice fall foliage.

Western Juniper (Juniperus occidentalis) is common in this area too. They can have massive trunks and are quite the site.

Their berries were ripe - a brilliant bluish color that gets ones attention.

Artemisia arbuscula - a real gem for the rock garden!

And a good end for the day and maybe the season here in the high country. I saw many good plants, found a few with seed still, and will start planning for next season in the high country.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 06:45:04 AM »
Wonderful scenery and plants! We are just off to the North York Moors near to where one daughter is studying. It won't be anything like the Sierra Nevada but a new place to explore. Can't boast of finding tracks of a cougar though! Nice to be able to expand your wings a little in a big country :)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
A fairly strong cold front is moving into the area today. It will be bringing much needed rain and snow down to about 4,000 ft. (1,219mters). It might be the end of the season in the high country, but there is still much to explore at the lower elevations.

Yes, I it very nice to be able to expand my wings in this big country!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
It seems to me that some of these places would be super to explore on horseback - does anyone do that ? Might you meet folks riding those trails?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
It seems to me that some of these places would be super to explore on horseback - does anyone do that ? Might you meet folks riding those trails?

Maggi,

Yes, some places do allow horses and other pack animals. The area I traveled the other day is one such place. There was one horse trailer parked in the parking area and fresh horse droppings on the trail. Someone on horseback was enjoying the area. Most of the trail is above tree line so I bet there is a lot to see on top of a horse. And its all beautiful!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
Hi Robert,

I have just taken time to read through your adventures! Very exciting and very different from my part of the world! The scenery is amazing and the plants look fabulous even in their fall costumes.

Jandals asked what you bring in, and I'm glad he didn't ask me because I though he ment what kind of gear you bring with you on your walks ;D

Here everything is dripping wet and although this is at the wet west coast we have had unusually amounts of rain. And today, November 1, the temperature has already reached 16.5C (61.7F) which is unheard of!

Some of the plants you mention do very well here. I have planted a bigleaf maple where I work and ia ponderosa pine in my garden. Both are coming of ages and look good.
The Madrona has been more difficult, probably wrong provenience for my climate.

I am looking forward to the next chapters of your adventures during the winter and spring!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »
Maggi,

Yes, some places do allow horses and other pack animals. The area I traveled the other day is one such place. There was one horse trailer parked in the parking area and fresh horse droppings on the trail. Someone on horseback was enjoying the area. Most of the trail is above tree line so I bet there is a lot to see on top of a horse. And its all beautiful!

Sounds just wonderful to me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal