We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Green manure crops  (Read 415 times)

vanozzi

Green manure crops
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »
Oats grown between lilium rows and daffodil rows, picture taken start August.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Green manure crops
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
Are these oats grown as a green manure or to deal with pests? I'm told that the small oat (Avena strigosa) is used in the Netherlands as a biological method of suppressing harmful soil nematodes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:07:55 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Gene Mirro

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »
I think this is a good idea for at least two reasons:  the oats shade the soil, and they remove excess moisture from the soil.  When growing lily species, this will reduce losses due to bulb rot.  In the garden, annuals and perennials will serve the same purpose.  Even veggies will work, like corn.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

vanozzi

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
The oats are grown purely for the benefits of a green manure crop, Matt. Last year I hoed them in, actually I used wheat last season, but this year I'll be using the spade to its full depth.The worm population is increasing each year and as Gene pointed out, also shades the soil.The daffodils have never been as good, protected in part by the tall oats and this year no wind damage.The variety used is Swan oats, about $1 per kilo.One problem I had, were the sparrows ,crows and parrots (galahs) pulling up the seedlings as they emerged.I sowed very thickly to compensate, so in parts the oats have not stooled out as they should.In fact , one section has had 3 sowings.Now we are into spring, there must be other food about to interest them as there is no more damage.
I have already dug a few half rows and planted young lilium seedlings as you can see in one picture.The area is too exposed Gene to successfully grow any choice lilium species there, so these are confined to pots and polystyrene boxes and placed under the protection of some huge old apple trees.
Green manure crops are also sown in my 3 year old heritage apple orchard.There are 21 varieties all on dwarf root stock, as well as cherries, peaches and nectarines, also dwarf root stock.Closer to the house are 4 Japanese plums, 2 pears 2 peaches 5 apples and a double graft apricot on standard root stock.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal