We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dryas x suendermannii  (Read 807 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Dryas x suendermannii
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
I have a patch of the above in a raised bed which I fight to keep back to manageable proportions. About three weeks I gave it it's annual generous haircut and noticed today that it is in bud. I haven't noticed it re-blooming in previous years so is this normal please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Dryas x suendermannii
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
You must have terrified it into action  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Dryas x suendermannii
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
One of its parents, Dryas octopetala (assuming I'm getting that right?), has an extended bloom season in the wild here where I see it, and tends to repeat through the season in the garden.  So, while I haven't grown D. x suendermannii, I could imagine it might get that from D. octopetala
What is the other parent supposed to be?  I was under the impression it was D. drummondii... could that be right?  Isn't that what led to a bunch of misinfo about "nodding flowers" and what not?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal