We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 217493 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: wildlife
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »
I use the free app Irfanview and manually resize. You just click "Attachments and other options" below, then "Choose File" just like attaching to an email.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
Ian :if I remember correctly,  the resizer offers you the chance to save the resized images to a computer folder of your choice.  Then you follow the instructions, given in the thread I cited, to retrieve the photo and post it .

I know Anthony and others use Irfanview with great success too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
Thanks Anthony, I have loaded the SRGC image re-sizer and followed Maggis instructions. When I click on Attachments there is no Browser option as mentioned in Maggis post. If I try to attach the image by clicking on the re-sizer the machine tries to load the re-sizer not the image it contains. I have the drag and drop re-sizer  which says....Image saved as SRGC-image_3517 but can,t get this from the resizer to the post.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
Andromeda on a local reserve.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
Thanks Maggi. Modern machines are too complicated for me. Perhaps Anthony would know what this grasshopper is. Heath? On my machine it says choose file, instead of Browse.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #260 on: March 14, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
Thanks Maggi. Modern machines are too complicated for me. Perhaps Anthony would know what this grasshopper is. Heath? On my machine it says choose file, instead of Browse.
Not easy, the picture is quite small and I can't see some important details of the wing and the antennae. There's not many species like this in UK, and I would say a Myrmeleotettix maculatus female. Very small and usually in sunny, dry, sandy area. The female can have different color, see here http://www.orthoptera.org.uk/species/account.aspx?ID=48 and here http://www.galerie-insecte.org/galerie/esp-page.php?genre=myrmeleotettix&espece=maculatus
The two other species which can be quite similar are Chorthippus brunneus and Stenobothrus stigmaticus.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

ian mcdonald

« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »
Hello John, I,m afraid not. I live in a very large village but have recorded over 70 species in and from my back garden. If people do not get fed up with my pictures I have many more of wildlife of all groups. Like most naturalists I see wildlife of other groups than my specific interest, which consists of plants.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »
hi ian it would be great t see them.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

ian mcdonald

« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
Carolyn, this is "freddie," perhaps it should be freda?"

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
Red squirrels! Ian you lucky so & so :)
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Carolyn

« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »
Interesting behaviour today. I drove by a recently killed grey squirrel. On the way back there was a live one sitting beside it. Do squirrels pair for the summer or maybe life?
Mark, did you see this headline on the BBC news website on 13th Feb? -
"A baby red squirrel found clinging to its dead mother in Aberdeenshire is being cared for by the Scottish SPCA."

Ian, super photo of your squirrel. We have now realised that we have three different squirrels in the garden. There has been logging going on in the woods near us and we think that perhaps loss of habitat has driven the other squirrels to our garden.
We are still hoping for babies in the drey- the (female?) squirrel can be seen going up and down the tree early every morning and in the late afternoon.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

ian mcdonald

« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
Hello Carolyn, I think we are seeing more birds in the garden due to habitat destruction in the name of "progress." Peatland destruction for horticulture img 122. Cloudscape 1996? img 125.  Oyster plant, Mertensia maritima img 128. Wood ants nest img 127.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »
Saw my first summer migrants today. Four sand martins feeding over  the river in my town
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2015, 05:55:56 AM »
Large Heath.
Not photographed in March though. Looks like a southern form.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ian mcdonald

« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
Hello Anthony, you are right. The local population has not been seen for some years on this site, so a local idiot decided to introduce some. The ones seen after his interference have been traced to a Shropshire population. He thinks he is the expert but he is wrong. He openly boasted on a TV programme that the authorities cannot do anything about his activities. Natural England are, as you would expect, not pleased.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal