We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: not a sprekelia  (Read 406 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
not a sprekelia
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
A woman in Florida bought this bulb as sprekelia.

Odd shape to the flower - what is that long pointy bit?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: not a sprekelia
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:20:31 PM »
I received a suggestion - not even a bulb at all, but a second cousin to
Australian Kangaroo Paws.

Diane

---  Lachnanthes caroliniana (Redroot), one of the few North American members
of the Haemodoraceae.  Redroot is a fairly common wildflower in wet areas (roadside ditches, etc.)
of the deep south.   I wouldn't be surprised if it invaded the pot where the Sprekelia expired.  ----
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: not a sprekelia
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
Wow, that came out of left field, huh?!!  It is a monocot, at least  :D

I was interested to see that while the name does seem to be accepted by Kew  etc as:
 Lachnanthes caroliniana (Lam.) Dandy  (family Haemodoraceae) , original publication details: J. Bot. 70: 329 1932........
 this site  http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=LACA5  and http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LACA5  say that the  name should be caroliana not caroliniana      :-\
The second of those sites says :
"USDA Symbol: LACA5
USDA Native Status: L48 (N), CAN (N)

Found mostly in coastal environments from Louisiana east to Florida and Cuba and north to Nova Scotia, where it is listed as a threatened species by Canadas Species at Risk Act, Carolina Redroot has grass-like foliage and creamy yellow summer blooms that blend well with other plants native to the eastern coastal plains. It tends to be less common from Tennessee and Maryland northward and is listed as threatened, endangered, or of special concern in several US states. Its seeds are favorites of Sandhill Cranes. "

Fascinating!!
Thanks, Diane,  I would never have known that without your query - I just LOVE the way new things come to my notice here!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal