We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 27452 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: June 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »
More weeds in the garden!  :o

Oenothera, we called them "night blooms", can be a major weed. When I was very young my best friend and I grew them in our gardens. He passed to the other side many years ago. I keep them in the garden (under control!). When the flowers open in the evening giving their wonderful fragrance I am reminded of a wonderful fishing companion!

Verbena bonariensis, also a weed, attracts beneficial insects to the farm and are very drought and heat tolerant. They bloom all summer so they stay around.

Origanum microphyllum, not a weed, but good cover for dormant bulbs in our garden.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
Hi Chris,
Viola bubanii Timbal-Lagrave is an accepted species. It came from Northern Spain and is related
to Viola lutea.
According photos in the net you cultivate the real species although I once had a plant which was more
hairy than yours. It seems there is some variation within its populations.
Nice plant though.
Gerd

Hi Gerd , many thanks for your reply ! I find it also very attractive and is even more good news that it seems the true species i
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Excelsior

• Look down! Thats where the magic happens!
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »
Found this double flowered Geum rivale in the wild. The reason i spotted it, was its more intense salmon red color.  I'm afraid it don't come true from seed, but perhaps I can divide it in the future if someone are interested .
Growing on the edge, 560 m.a.s.l.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal