We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gladiolus  (Read 553 times)

Roma

Gladiolus
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »
This Gladiolus grows all over my garden without ever being a nuisance.  It produces many cormlets and has winged seeds.  Most of the European gladdies look very similar. Can someone give me a name?
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

reifuan

Re: Gladiolus
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »
I think it's Gladiolus communis.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
If the seeds are about 5 mm long or less, then communis. G. byzantinus has much larger seeds. I wish I had your problem Roma.  ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

John85

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
You can also have a look at the stamens :
G.byzantinus : anther the same size as the filament of the stamen
G.communis   :anther shorter than the filament
But there are five other european gladiolus like palustris,illyricus........

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
There is a revision of Gladiolus which can be found in France by Jean-Marc Tison. A first part have been published in Tizon, Jauzein and Michaud "Flore de la France méditerranéenne continentale", a complete revision will be published in Flora gallica by Tizon and de Foucault at the end of the year.
In France, mainly 5 species can be found : dubius, gallaecicus, italicus, palustris and imbricatus.
dubius has winged seed and is mediterranean
gallaecicus has winged seed and is atlantic
illyricus which was the name often used to name french gladiolus is a species from eastern mediterranean bassin
communis has sometimes been cultivated, winged seed with big seed and longer fruit
italicus has not winged seed
x bysantinus hybrid between italicus and dubius, seeds with small wing
palustris winged seed, few inclinated flowers
imbricatus aligned flowers, small flowers
There are other caracters like stamen, form of the tepal, number of flowers, number of leaves... but my english is too bad to write them all  :P

Species with winged seed are quite difficult to identify without origin (geographic or biotop), dubius is widespread and as many ecotype (from littoral plain to rocky 'garrigue').

From what we can see, dubius would be a good candidate to the specimen on the above picture but it is very close to communis
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:31:34 PM by Karaba »
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Roma

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.   I'm not sure if the originals were grown from cultivated or wild seed.  We grew 3 or 4 different in pots when I worked at the Cruickshank Garden in Aberdeen.  The ones in my garden probably came in used potting compost many years ago. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal