We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula  (Read 395 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Campanula
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:56:29 AM »
Hi,
I grew this from seed and have it labelled as Campanula autraniana; however, the leaf shape (among other things, I imagine) is wrong for that (supposed to be "cordate-acuminate, finely dentate on long petioles" according to Graham Nicholls' Dwarf Campanulas).

I think it's C. tridentata... or at least in that bunch of similar ones, i.e. C. tridentata/aucheri/saxifraga/bellidifolia.  Having said that, the flowers are larger and tubbier than what I grow as C. saxifraga
Can anyone say what it is?  Thanks for any info.
448316-0
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Campanula
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
Lovely campanula. Yes, definitely not C. autraniana but almost certainly one of the other group. Very difficult to tell these apart though. Leaves are not spoon shaped so probably not bellidifolia. If leaves roughly pubescent then possibly aucheri.  C tridentata seems a good bet........ Sorry can't be of more help but this group very difficult!
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Campanula
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
Thank you very much, Dave!  I'll take a closer look, and also read Graham Nicholls' descriptions more carefully.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal