We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fresh seed of Primula reidii williamsii - info required  (Read 1196 times)

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
Fresh seed of Primula reidii williamsii - info required
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »
Fresh seed of Primula reidii williamsii, is it best to sow now or keep seed in the fridge & sow early next year?

Any suggestions or experiences would be welcome.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Fresh seed of Primula reidii williamsii - info required
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
Sow now Mike . If you've got plenty, you could do both. Should get an early germination if you sow now and get good sized babies to take through the winter and get going at speed next year.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
Definitely worth experimenting as Maggi says if you've got enough seed. If the weather turns or stays hot you might need to be a bit careful to keep the little ones cool.

My best results were from sowing on to a clean pot full of moist chopped pure sphagnum moss  in early spring and sealing the whole thing inside a polythene bag. I saw this recommended somewhere for tiny seeds such as primula, rhododendron, gesneriads as it largely prevents issues with damping off, sciarid fly, liverworts etc. Weaning the seedlings on to normal substrates afterwards can be a bit tricky though. So I found it best to wait until they were fairly big first. Sounds like a lot of fuss but I tried this method with several primulas, rhododendrons etc from a Chadwell collection and had a lot of success.

My efforts with reidii since then (using 'normal' peaty seed composts) have been more hit and miss but I usually get a few seedlings - obtaining the seed to start with is the tricky bit!
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »
Thanks Maggi & Darren, I will pass your info on to my friend.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »
Sow it now and keep really cool if you are having any sort of a summer at all.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal