We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife in the Garden - June 2014  (Read 2504 times)

Roma

Re: Wildlife in the Garden - June 2014
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
These could be Hairy Shieldbug Dolycoris baccarum, Roma. Quite scarce and coastal in Scotland.

The first image is an adult, the two together are late instar nymphs.

Chris
Thanks Chris.  I counted 6 or 7 all fairly close together this morning on the tree but could only find 2 later in the afternoon.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:39 AM »
Getting few pics today in the garden I spotted this little jewel.  I think it may be a moth it is under an inch across.  I attach to photos one to show how small it was and the second a close up or as close as I can get.  Has anyone any idea of its name?
Looks like a mint moth (Pyrausta aurata) Shelagh.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
Thanks Anthony that sure looks like it.  We have 3 butterfly/moth books and it doesn't occur in any of them.  Plenty of info on the web though, at least when you know what you are looking for. :D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Roma

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Newly emerged adult Hairy Shield Bug - Dolicharis baccarum
I thought I had found an albino but saw the old skin and remembered newly emerged ladybirds are yellow without spots and gradually become spotted and red so I expect this will gradually darken.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
Newly emerged adult Hairy Shield Bug - Dolicharis baccarum
I thought I had found an albino but saw the old skin and remembered newly emerged ladybirds are yellow without spots and gradually become spotted and red so I expect this will gradually darken.

That's a great picture Roma, showing the adult alongside the old skin (exuvium). And well spotted as it appears to be on the underside of some herbaceous plant.

Chris
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Roma

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 03:08:36 PM »
It's on Sorbus prattii, Chris, on a pendant branch just about my eye level.  The first two I spotted were on the top side of the branch and I have been looking for them in the same area for a few days.  Only saw two last night but have not checked today. 

Chris Johnson

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
Ah, Sorbus prattii, a nice tree. Bit out with my scale!

Unfortunately, I can't grow trees here.

Chris
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:03 AM »
Not quite in the garden - actually on neighbouring blocks - parrots, mostly sulphur crested cockatoos but also galahs and corellas digging up romuleas for the starchy corms - unfortunately not thoroughly enough to eradicate this pest ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Roma

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:32 AM »
Do they dig up bulbs in your garden, Fermi?   Are those Lamas or Guanacos in the background of the last picture?

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
Do they dig up bulbs in your garden, Fermi?   Are those Lamas or Guanacos in the background of the last picture?
Hi Roma,
they can be quite destructive destroying new shoots and flowers and fruit but they only seem to dig for Romulea - which is why our cultivated forms are mostly in pots!
Those are alpacas in the last pic - kept here mostly as "herd guards" for sheep against marauding dogs and foxes, but this neighbour seems to just use them to keep down the grass,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
Interesting to see Sulphur Crested Cockatoos in the wild. Here in the U.S. , some folks pay big money to buy Sulphur Crested Cockatoos to keep as pets. They don't make very good pets except for those who are devoted to them and have the proper knowledge.

Here on the farm there are various birds that can be troublesome. Right now it is the California Quail. I do like them, so I use row cover to keep them out of newly planted vegetables. Wild Turkeys are big trouble when the wheat, barley and rye are ripening. Not much I can do about it but grow enough for everyone.  :'(
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
The California quail makes an interesting addition to wildlife in our local reserves.

Robert

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
Anthony,

California Quail in New Zealand. They were imported as game birds and have now naturalized? Maybe something like the Ring-necked Pheasants here in California. They have naturalized in the Sacramento Valley but have never moved beyond this area. They are sure beautiful birds!
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 04:31:50 AM »
Anthony,

California Quail in New Zealand. They were imported as game birds and have now naturalized? Maybe something like the Ring-necked Pheasants here in California. They have naturalized in the Sacramento Valley but have never moved beyond this area. They are sure beautiful birds!
Yes, along with the pheasant and others, they were introduced in the 1860s as game birds. We even have feral peacocks in some of the housing estates near us!

Robert

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
Yes, along with the pheasant and others, they were introduced in the 1860s as game birds. We even have feral peacocks in some of the housing estates near us!

Anthony,

Thanks for sharing the information. Very interesting - feral peacocks.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal