We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cardiocrinum multiplication  (Read 842 times)

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
Cardiocrinum multiplication
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Did somebody already try bulb individual scales multiplication of Cardiocrinum giganteum?

2 of the 3 bulbs that grew in the garden, and that would probably have flowered again  this summer after 5 years without, were eaten dead by some rodent last winter, and there's just one last left in another place, but it is much much smaller than the 2 that sadly disappeared. I absolutely don't want to lose the whole thing though, and thought I could try to make as many scale/bulbs with the only remainer.
I don't seriously think about any seed propagation, it would take 10/15 years to get to flowering stage here.
C.cordatum from sowing 2009 still only has one rather small leave currently   ::)
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

pontus

Re: Cardiocrinum multiplication
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »
I donnt think scaling will work Phillippe, Usually with me, most of the older scales die over 2 years, and get replaced by new ones formed by the base of the new leaves. The more large leaves produced, the more new scales are produced. It seems that cardiocrinum scales dont have as long an individual life as some lilium scales...

I once thought i was loosing a plant on which all outer scales surrounding the leaf bases had rotted...but i gave it a bit of extra feeding, and in october, it went dormant, leaving a fairly good sized new bulb formed by the new leaf growth..

If you want to do a swap, I have a large cardiocrinum giganteum bulb that I could possibly post to you which should flower next year, and maybe even leave offsets...

Pontus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal