We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Looking for a crocus I no longer have  (Read 1608 times)

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
Looking for a crocus I no longer have
« on: June 06, 2014, 02:36:46 AM »
Many years ago (about 35 -40) as I was starting to garden in our current location, I bought a box of small bulbs labeled "Snow Crocus" They were superb!  Mix of tiny flowers about 1.5-2 cm size with 5-7 cm leaves  Dark purples and the ones I loved most were a brilliant gold throughout  WITHOUT any russet on the petal backs.  Unfortunately ravages by voles and squirrels over a decade or so finally removed all of them.  I have been unable to find such a clean looking gold crocus again.  All the miniature species crocus I see in catalogs over here have the russet reverses or shade into maroons near the base.  Can anyone suggest what species or variety might look as described and where I might obtain same.

TIA 

George
George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Re: Looking for a crocus I no longer have
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 04:19:13 AM »
For the golden one, try Crocus ancyrensis, for instance. Does it fit your description?
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
George, have a look through Thomas Huber's helpful listing of cultivars to see if something takes your eye -
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5060.0
Also we have the Crocus pages,
http://www.srgc.org.uk/genera/index.php?log=crocus  - main page for just about all species
and this page
http://www.srgc.org.uk/genera/logdir/2010Mar281269806041Crocus_ancyrensis.pdf   - is for Crocus  ancyrensis to give you a start.

Expect to develop a bit of 'croconuttiness' with all the wonders there! ;) ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
Thanks to both of you,

Looking at these photos, either the C. ancyrensis or the C. chrysanthus 'Goldmine'  or possibly 'Goldene Sonne' look like they might be it.   

Unfortunately, the first source of ancyrensis I found (Brent and Becky) states it can grow to 12" (30 cm) which is way out of line for size.  Haven't found any reference to size or a USA source for the chrysanthus cultivars, but I grow 'blue pearl'  and the size is about right.

George

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »
That must be a typo on the B&B site, George - it's more like 2 - to 3 inches at most. Leaves will get a little longer  in maturity, but they're not around for too long a time.  Certainly C. ancyrencis is a little thing, and would be in the range of size of Blue Pearl - as are most of the other readily available chrysanthus cultivars. The "old Dutch" hybrid crocus  like the striped 'Pickwick' get a bit larger - up to around 5 to 6 inches for the biggest flowers though most are still around  4 to 5 inches.

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
Thank you Margaret (or should I say Maggi if that's not too familiar ?),

I've put in my order for fall delivery of some C. ancyrensis.   Will be wonderful to see their glowing little faces next spring.  Think I'll also try a few more chrysanthus varieties as well just for luck.   

George

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »
In my book a garden cannot have enough Crocus  8)  Problem here at the moment is the mice like 'em too.  :(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal