We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bargany gardens South Ayrshire  (Read 1622 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Bargany gardens South Ayrshire
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
We visited here on the 25th hoping to catch the azaleas in full bloom.  It is a private garden -or rather estate - of about 50 acres, which opens for the month of May.
The garden dates from about 1826 with the plantings around the loch and woodlands made about over 100 years ago. Some of the Rh.luteums must be well over 20 feet high with a white Rh. which must be 35 feet high.  There must be hundreds of mature azaleas around the estate.  We came across an evergreen Japanese azalea which was 7 feet high.  I have a 45 year old look-a-like in my garden which is only 3 feet high.  We had missed quite a bit of the flowering which has taken place earlier this year due to the mild Winter.  No plant names are available and I am assuming most are hybrids
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Bargany gardens South Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
Next
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
next
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
last
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
Tom - Another spectacular tour. Thanks so much.

FYI  The red cinnabarinum is in fact R. griersonianum. I sat here admiring the cinn when I thought my there's no sign of mildew on those leaves, wait a minute... ;)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Margaret

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:43:11 AM »

Lovely garden and great photos, thank you Tom. Checked and it is only open in May. Must try to remember for next year's holiday.
Margaret
Greenwich

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »
Margaret
One of its attractions is an avenue of flowering cherry trees whose canopies have grown together forming a huge archway but as you know flowering  is totally dependent on the weather. The can flower between mid May to early June.  We were probably about a week late for the azaleas best flowering.
The charge for admission is £2.0 and the money is dropped in an honesty box !

John
I stand corrected.  The small pictures don't really show the plants to their best.  If you wish I could send you larger versions by email using the confidential "my messages" facility.

We were at Benmore today on a typical west coast day- soft rain, 17°C and packs of ferocious midges !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal