We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula "Treborth Yellow"  (Read 2337 times)

Menai

Primula "Treborth Yellow"
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
This picture is for David Nicholson who asked to see it and apparently you can't attach pics to PMs.
The photo is an old one (2011) as I failed to take one this year when it was looking its best. As well as doing well in a pan we have a good clump out in the open on the Rock Garden at Treborth. It has been in flower for the whole of April this year.

Erle
Anglesey where it has been suprisingly dry.
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Primula "Treborth Yellow"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
wow that's lovely
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »
Boy, that's a stunner, must put it on my wants list....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »
Thanks Erle, I'm away from home at the moment so I'll have a good look at it when I get back home tomorrow evening.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
This picture is for David Nicholson who asked to see it and apparently you can't attach pics to PMs.
The photo is an old one (2011) as I failed to take one this year when it was looking its best. As well as doing well in a pan we have a good clump out in the open on the Rock Garden at Treborth. It has been in flower for the whole of April this year.

Erle
Anglesey where it has been suprisingly dry.

It's quite lovely Erle. On first look at the flowers I thought perhaps False Oxlip but noticed the red stem that pushed me to think there was perhaps some P. juliae blood in the mix somewhere. This is local to you.

http://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pages/primula_x_polyantha_false_oxlip.htm
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
Yes, I am wondering what the connections are, of this primula?

I have the first yellow Cowichan out from a Barnhaven batch sown just last November, on the 6th to be exact so just on 6 months from sowing to flowers. Not bad! The foliage is quite bright green so in all honesty it doesn't look too different from a small-flowered polyanthus type but some others in the same batch have coloured foliage, even a few with deep red central leaves so they should be very good. Most, and also from the various other forms I bought from Barnhaven, I'm pretty sure will flower this first spring, so it will be a cheerful time.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Menai

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments.
I have had a number of seedlings from this over the last few years and they range from P. vulgaris to P. veris with all intermediate forms but with a significant proportion of dark red flowers which I guess would confirm David's suggestion. None seemed worth keeping.

Erle
Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal