We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newbie makes a small crevice garden  (Read 17171 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Newbie makes a small crevice garden
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
Black labels work very well and don't stand out. I push mine in so only a little bit is showing
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Ian.  I had thought of getting rid of labels as there is quite a forest of them, but do like to have the names right there (my memory often needs refreshing!) and I know I would not keep a sketch up to date. I have gone with Mark's solution of black labels and will remove the suppliers' labels this year.  Mark I'd be interested to know how long the writing lasts on yours.
For permanent labelling in the garden I have been making engraved labels for a while (sold as 'scratch-on' labels but the scratching tool supplied with them is not great to use). The picture shows one that has been through 5 winters and it's as good as new. It's a bit of a faff of course so if I'm in a hurry I just use a white label and pencil until I have time to write a black one.  I don't use a wire attachment in the crevice bed, but pushing them into my gritty soil mix is tricky so I use an old blunt carving knife to make a deep slot for them.

astragalus

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
The knife trick is excellent for helping to place labels.  It's especially good when you're working with a narrow crevice - you don't want to wiggle the label in and possibly destroy roots in the process.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

ian mcdonald

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »
An alpine nurseryman I know used to make labels out of aluminium sheet, such as that used for caravans. Perhaps a caravan dealer has off-cuts? He used to scribe the plant name with a sharp tool. These are then less obtrusive.

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »
Sunny today - and Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty' is now in full bloom - the bells of last week have opened up to stars.
After the previous discussion initiated by Ian I am now noticing those intrusive labels - a campaign is needed!
Must make progress with making black ones and burying them.

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
Saxifraga Porophylla ferdinandi-coburgi 'Drakula' - a long name for a very small plant with a tiny but beautiful yellow flower - of course everyone who sees it says 'shouldn't it be red?'
And next to it Saxifraga 'Jenkinsiae' (× irvingii)  again, with a few new blooms.

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »
Easter weekend was dull until today (Monday) which was brilliantly sunny all day - got lightly sunburned.  Went to Wisley yesterday; interesting to see their Pulsatilla vulgaris in an open bed fully in flower yet mine, only 20 miles away, is still making flower buds and probably a couple of weeks from blooming. The sunshine brought out Tulipa aucheriana's lovely flowers held on very short stems. The pics show three of these in mid-morning with one open and two closed. By mid afternoon all three were fully out.  Armeria juniperifolia contours itself nicely around the crevices and is starting to bloom.  The general pic shows that the campaign for black labels is almost completed - you can hardly see them now can you! ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:37:22 PM by MatthewStuttard »

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
A few combinations emerging now, the profile pic shows Tulipa aucheriana at the front with Armeria juniperifolia fully flowered in its crevice and Corydalis 'Kingfisher' on the mini plateau behind the crevice. Colour graduations in the Corydalis flowers are beautiful.  The semps have thrown off their winter tiredness, they are looking glossy again and providing perfect homes for small spiders.  I was delighted to see the first small leaves of Physoplexis comosa this morning - was worried I had lost it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 04:02:58 PM »
I thought at the time you were making this bed, Matthew, that the colour of the stone would look well with the plants and now that things are growing so well, that is certainly the case.

I'd be a wee bit worried that the Corydalis  'Kingfisher' might get too big for  the site. :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
It's looking great Matthew.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
Update from 18 April - posting delayed due to holiday.
Thanks for the comments David and Maggi.
A 20cm clear space was allowed for the Corydalis in the original planting Maggi and so far it is abiding with the plan - see the 'detail above' shot. The Phlox and the Erodium have not read the rules though - of which more later.
Something has been nibbling two Bulbocodium vernum (both leaves and buds) for several weeks now - so no flowers this year.  I originally thought it was mouse but the current damage  pattern looks like insect. I'd appreciate advice on what is causing the damage and how to control it.
Great to see Gentiana verna's deep blue flowers (but I have to get up close to admire them as they are less than 1cm across), and good old Erigeron aureus 'Canary Bird' has started its outstandingly long flowering season.
Phlox subulata has started flowering - it is getting rather large but I don't mind so far as it can drape over the timber edge, it has lots of buds and promises a great display. The strappy leaves of the Scilla (now finished flowering) contrast well in both form and colour.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:43:06 AM by Maggi Young »

Chris Johnson

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2015, 07:00:41 AM »
It's coming on well, Matthew.

It looks like grazing damage to your Bulbocodium vernum, I would suspect molluscs. It would be a good idea to go out an hour after dark with a torch and you may well find the culprit/s.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »
Thanks Chris - of course you were right: the culprit was a small snail.
Today's update has pics from 27th April.
Dwarf Rhododendron 'Night Sky' is a cracker in full bloom now, with its commanding high position at the far corner.
Pulsatilla vulgaris has five blooms and more to come (only had one last year).  The yellow stamens provide a contrasting splash to the pinks and blues currently dominating.
The Phlox subulata 'Nettleton's variation' is covered in flowers and already rather large, might need trimming at the back as it is starting to crowd the semps.
General view shows many plants really getting into full stride (apart from a few failures which I'll own up to in a future post).

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
Today is probably maximum bloom time, with the most plants in bloom simultaneously.  The spring flowers are going over and the early summer ones are coming on as you can see in the overview pic. Lithodora diffusa is making a large blue splash in the middle and making it easy to miss the small Polygala next to it.
So I think now is also a good time to own up to some of the failures.  Those of a nervous disposition look away now!
The Penstemon davidsonii which established very well in its first year has died, not sure why - I will dig it out and do a post mortem on the roots.
The Saxifraga 'Cloth of Gold' is more a cloth of brown, but is struggling on and has put out a couple of flowers. The brown parts are completely dead and if pulled detach right at ground level. Advice on what is wrong and how to recover would be gratefully received.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
If it's any consolation Matthew my Penstemon davidsonii finished up as a replica of yours. I gave it a chance to re-bud, but nix and hoiked it out. I've never had any success with Mossy Saxes, like yours they go brown in the middle and quietly fade to nothing. I used to think that they just didn't like Devon Summers (one day hot sun next day chucking it down) but having read Malcolm McGregor's 'Saxifrages' it may well be partly because I tried to grow them as I would any alpine. McGregor says "The hybrid mossy saxifrages generally like a heavier, more moisture-retentive soil than is normally suggested for a rock garden, where the great need is to provide most of the plants with extra drainage........"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal