We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newbie makes a small crevice garden  (Read 17145 times)

MatthewStuttard

Re: Newbie makes a small crevice garden
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »
Just to share my 'newbie' enthusiasm.
Something wonderful in the way these have developed since they were put in only a few weeks ago.
In particular how the crevice plants have gently flowed and moulded their forms to the rock contours.
Is that ant feeding on Sax nectar?

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:54 AM »
Looking good....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
Late May update.  All going well so far. Have only had to do a bit of dead heading and the slugs seem to dislike climbing up the railway sleepers so no losses to them.
The Ramonda myconii pic was taken through the trellis at the back of the bed, it seems happy enough in its shady nook.
Potentilla may be rather ordinary but it gives a lovely splash of yellow, especially after rain.
I like the way the Erodium flowers are held high on bendy stems so they nod in a breeze, but it is quite a sprawling plant which might need a trim soon.
In contrast Sax Winifred Bevington looks very neat and sturdy in a shadier spot.
The Pulsatilla pic was taken in April - just one flower but a lovely one, I tried sowing the seeds it produced in a tray a couple of weeks ago following the advice on the Pulsatilla forum pages - no seedlings yet! Possibly showing my ignorance but I wonder if the seed is viable as I only have one plant.
The Corydalis posted previously finished its first flush of flowers a couple of weeks ago and I was expecting more as it is supposed to have a long season - no new buds visible today. Should I do anything except wait and see?

astragalus

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
Maggi, I keep a bucket of rain water at the top of the garden and automatically any bought plant is swished gently in the bucket until the roota are pretty clean.  The it gets gently dragged over sand  or I sprinkle some sand on the roots to keep them from clinging together too much.  Then it gets planted in the crevices in my own mix.  Maybe a few weeks later. depending on the plant, it gets some slow-release Osmacote scratched in.  Too much peat and other strange things in potted plants.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

astragalus

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Matthew, what a nice range of plants you're growing. 
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 10:28:54 PM »
What's species? Found in the garden today. Just beautiful.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 09:25:05 AM »
I don't know many moths but I think that's an Angle Shades
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Chris Johnson

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »
What's species? Found in the garden today. Just beautiful.

A great find, Matthew, a mating pair of Eyed Hawkmoths (Smerinthus ocellata). If you get to see the lower wings you will see a pair of dark 'eyes' on a reddish background.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Chris Johnson

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »
I don't know many moths but I think that's an Angle Shades

Diane: Angle Shades has a similar shape but smaller and much lighter colouring.

South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Diane: Angle Shades has a similar shape but smaller and much lighter colouring.

Thanks Chris   :)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
Thanks Diane and Chris,
Great to have the identification.  Their wing shape - especially the trailing edge - looked fantastic.
I did not want to disturb them so did not get to see the undersides or sides. They stayed like that for over an hour.

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »
sprinkle some sand on the roots to keep them from clinging together too much

Astragalus, this is a great tip, I used it recently when planting out leeks and it makes it much easier to get the roots into the dibbed holes. I'll use it next time I plant alpines too!

Early June in the crevice bed and the Eidelweiss is developing.  I'm not much of a fan of this plant but couldn't have an alpine garden without it.
447486-0

Aubretia 'Bressingham Red' is still going, which is a pleasant surprise.  It has also spread to form a fairly compact cushion - seems very well behaved (no pic here).
Rhodohypoxis milloides is the first of the rhodos to flower - really brilliant colour.
447488-1

Centaurem scilloides is coming on.  Petite flowers.
447490-2

Edraianthus pumilio has lovely colour, but a very short season - this pic was taken last weekend and the show is almost over now.  Not helped by the heavy rain in the week.
447492-3

Finally the Sysirinchium has flowered quite well - now nearing the end, and has more than doubled in vegetative mass.  Some of the leaves are not looking happy though.  I'm trying a slow release fertiliser.  Any other tips would be welcome.
447494-4

MatthewStuttard

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
Solstice update.  Overview pictures taken on 21 June. 
'Side' pic shows the aubretia (front left) has made a lovely cushion and is still flowering.
The other cushion at the front is a Zauschneria.
'Front' pic reveals one of the the Oxalis 'Ione Hecker' plants has got a very bad dose of rust (I can't bring myself to post a close up!).  I did not have time to treat it when it first appeared and it has now really taken hold and the leaves look very unwell. Have sprayed Dithane. The plant is still flowering gamely.
Overhead pic shows how the plants have filled out compared to the end April ( http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11785.msg304559#msg304559 )
Some - a bit too much.  The Erodium at the far end has now had a trim.
The little stars newly in flower are Sempervivum Arachnoideum and Campanula "Dickson's Gold".
Two weeks ago I took offsets from the Semps for another little project and they rooted very quickly in a tray kept in the greenhouse, they will be ready to plant out next week.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »
That looks great, Matthew.

Where else apart from "rock and alpine gardening" could you get such a wonderful garden with so many plants in such a small place making such a good show in such a short space of time? And one that will go on to give pleasure for so many years to come with only gentle maintenance ?
Rock plants really do rock!!!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »
Well done Matthew, looks good.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal