We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glasgow Show 3rd May 2014  (Read 8933 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Glasgow Show 3rd May 2014
« on: April 29, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
Glasgow Show 3 May NEXT EVENT!    

3rd May 11.30 am to 3.30 pm
SHOW SECRETARY: Mr John Lee 25 Douglas Drive, Glasgow G15 6SW
Telephone 0141 944 2411 VENUE: Milngavie Town Hall, Main Street, Milngavie, G62 8BZ
LOCATION: 9 miles NW of Glasgow on the A81. The Town Hall is near the town centre, opposite the car park for Milngavie railway station.
ENTRIES: To Show Secretary or Assistant Show Secretary, Mr Bill Robinson, Telephone 0141 883 4539, by Wednesday before the show.
RHS JOINT ROCK GARDEN PLANT COMMITTEE: will meet at 12.00 noon.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carol Shaw

Re: Glasgow Show 3rd May 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
Having said we wouldn't go, being reluctant to face a four and a half hour drive and two nights at the Premier Inn, thanks to Ian B we discovered that Scot Rail has some good offers on for the over 55's so we'll head off on the train from Forres at 8am arrive around 1pm and be back home for 10pm… all for less than one night at the Premier Inn and no stress!
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

johnny-l

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
GLASGOW SHOW  3RD  MAY  11.30am - 3.30pm

Further to Maggi's comments above here is some additional information.

Nurseries attending: Ardfearn, Hartside, Kevock and Rumbling Bridge.

Tearoom: coffee, tea, rolls, cakes etc. available throughout the day.

Show Sec                 John Lee      0141 9442411  e-mail:   betty_943@fsmail.net
Assist Show Sec Bill Robinson       0141 8834539  e-mail: werobinson_99@yahoo.com

Hard to say what the weather is going to be like on Saturday although some overnight frosts are being predicted for Thursday and Friday nights so take care when travelling.  Regardless, a warm welcome will always await you from myself and the team.

See you Saturday,   

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
The latest news from the Glasgow show at Milngavie :
 The Forrest Medal has been awarded to  Cypripedium 'Ursel'  which is a fasciolatum x henryi cross.
 Guess who grew it?

Yes, it was our Secret Squirrel - Cyril Lafong - congratulations to Cyril!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
I discover that as well as missing a great Glasgow Show and seeing the Clare and Johnny Dower - I've also missed seeing Black Pudding Girl and the alpine world's answer to Tom Cruise (also known as Shelagh and Brian Smethurst) AND  the Bookeroo and the lovely Sue - drat and double drat!
And those are just the chums from England that I know were present - there were probably others, too - I've missed out big time.  ::)  Hope they've all had a great day out at the show.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
First a view of the hall as people finish staging their plants. Tea and biscuits available  but as judging  starts it is time for something  more substantial-and the catering at Glasgow is first class.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »
Judging over the show opens and to no -one's surprise Cyril had won yet another Forrest Medal with an exceptional  pot of Cypripedium Ursel which also took the Simpson Trophy for best orchid in the show. Cyril won Class A for 6 small pans with a typically polished  entry.  Elsewhere in the show he had  a large flowered Ramonda that took the 75th jubilee prize for the best plant in a 17.5 cm. pot. He also won  the Archibald rose bowl for the best entry of 3 large pans in class 2, the William Buchanan Cup for Class 3-three rare or difficult plants while he was also awarded a merit cert for the large daphne which has had at least  one best in show in its time.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:23:57 PM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
More winners: Tommy Anderson the Dr William Buchanan Rose Bowl for Class I six big pans; Tom Green the Ian Donald Trophy  for the  Scottish native plant with a Vaccinium; Barry Winter the Joan Stead award   for best Primula with P x variabilis while George Young took the Ulster Quaich for the best bulb with Fritillaria liliacea. Your correspondent narrowly defeated John Di Paola to take the Edward Darling Trophy for three dwarf rhododendrons; I also received  the Crawford Challenge Cup for most first prizes in section 1 and the Don Stead prize for most points over the bulb classes due to bringing quite a lot of plants.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:30:05 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
Three well deserved certificate of merit. Peter Hood's Lamium armenum, Cliff Booker's Lewisia cotyledon and local grower Steve McFarlane's Trillium grandiflorum flore plena.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
In section 2 Sue Simpson added another Bronze Medal card to her collection; she also received  the James Wilson Trophy for most points in the section. Clare & John Dower won the small 6 pan Class B in section 2  -I think they also received  a certificate  for a mini garden.

more snaps tomorrow ......
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:38:18 PM by Stan da Prato »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
Cyril and his MAGNIFICENT Forrest Medal winning exhibit at the tremendous Glasgow SRGC Show today.  Our thanks and hearty congratulations to John and Bill and everyone involved in this wonderful event.  It was a great pleasure to attend our first SRGC Show … it won't be our last.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
The folk on the west are a friendly bunch, Cliff and they must have been delighted to welcome such a large contingent of members from south of the border to the show. Without doubt you will be more than welcome any time.

angie

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 12:16:58 AM »
I discover that as well as missing a great Glasgow Show and seeing the Clare and Johnny Dower - I've also missed seeing Black Pudding Girl and the alpine world's answer to Tom Cruise (also known as Shelagh and Brian Smethurst) AND  the Bookeroo and the lovely Sue - drat and double drat!
And those are just the chums from England that I know were present - there were probably others, too - I've missed out big time.  ::)  Hope they've all had a great day out at the show.

Maggi you missed out big time, you should have seen the chocolate cake, boy it was lovely. Great show and Cyril's Cypripedium Ursel was wonderful.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »
Where were you hiding, Angie?  I looked under the benches, in the middle of the Forrest, behind the cake stand, at the back of the array of silver trophies … you were nowhere to be seen???  You should have tripped me up, nudged me from behind or simply assailed me in a typically Scottish manner!!!   It was a great show, with some amazing plants.   Our contingent from East Lancashire did quite well with a handsome tally of red stickers and the welcome was as warm as the breakfast toast.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
Well done John and Bill another very fine show so many first class plants and great to welcome all our friends for the South The Border Raiders John called them Cliff and Sue came even further brought some prize winning plants. The Cypripedium shown by Cyril was awarded an FCC by the Joint Rock committee it was suggested that it had to many flowers what a magnificent plant no wonder he had such a smile ( in Stans Picture) A memorable day, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal