We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula  (Read 1976 times)

Neko

Primula
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »
I love this small flowers  :)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Re: Primula
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Hello,
My primula Auricula in flower. It has some farina on the flowers.
The plant seems to be a bit too big for its pot. Can anyone please tell me when - and how - to repot it?
Thanks in advance.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Margaret

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »

My auriculas were very poor this year as a result of too much neglect.

The two primulas below were exhibited at the AGS show in April at Westminister. They looked very special (and difficult!). Well done to the grower.

Primula auricula Fiddler's Green
Primula auricula Hinton Admiral
Margaret
Greenwich

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
Hello,
My primula Auricula in flower. It has some farina on the flowers.
The plant seems to be a bit too big for its pot. Can anyone please tell me when - and how - to repot it?
Thanks in advance.
JP

Hello JP, it depends really how you want to grow your Auricula. It looks a good strong plant and would probably do very well in your garden. If you want to grow it this way put it in some good gritty soil in a place with a bit of shade where it will not get too dry. If you want to continue to grow it in a pot then it needs to be re-potted. Let the soil in the pot dry out a bit, take out your plant and shake as much as you can of the old soil off the roots. You may find that the clump has a number of rooted offsets. If it has and you want to pot some of these up just pull them away gently from the clump and if the roots are long trim them with scissors so they are no longer than about 2/3rds the length of you pot (I always use 3" pots for offsets initially) and pot them into some nice gritty/sandy soil with a bit of humous. Water them gently in and keep them well shaded for a week or two and just nicely moist. If your weather is hot continue to keep them shaded and as cool as you can and don't water them in the heat of the day (I find the evening is best). If all goes well you should be able to build a nice little collection. If you want to keep your big plant in a pot, again trim the roots, same soil as the offsets and pot it up into a size bigger than it is in now. Don't use too big a pot. Again water it in gently and keep it shady.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:43:36 PM »
Thank you David!
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal