We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Edinburgh and the Lothians 75th Anniversary Show -12th April 2014  (Read 7945 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Edinburgh and the Lothians 75th Anniversary Show -12th April 2014
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
...some more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
People including  some young recruits

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »
not all the visitors came on two legs....

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »
..........and so to the presentations which were expanded this year with extra prizes of champagne for the winners of class 75 as it was the 75th anniversary show-appropriately this went to Henry and Margaret Taylor who have probably  contributed to the Edinburgh show for more years than anyone. Then  Bill Jessop with his very first award. Bob Maxwell may have moved house but still grows good plants. Could there  be an SRGC award ceremony  without Cyril?

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »
David Rankin is an experienced  exhibitor, Sue Simpson  less so but already creating an impression, Mike Dale epitomises cross border co-operation. Lawrie Buchan ex RBGE has been a great help liaising between  the show and the local  Church whose hall it is while Elspeth and John from the current  RBGE  are stalwart supporters of the local  group.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
Sam looking thoughtful over his best in show then a well deserved presentation by two exhibitors organised  by incoming show secretary Dave Millward to Carole and Ian for their years of service to the Edinburgh show -as they are soon to move to the south west of Scotland  they may yet be involved organizing   another show in that area.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
...........there are plants  of interest  as well as those  that  win trophies - I thought David Millward's  Bongardia chrysogonum was remarkable - apparently from the Berberidaceae it grows from a tuber in Iran.

Finally the sun  shone as people loaded plants back  into vehicles and set off home

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
Stan - a wonderful report on this anniversary show.  As telling as the fine plants on display are the shots of folks having a grand time.

Your shot in the previous post of happy exhibitors  getting the final plants  squeezed into an already  packed car is proof that modern vehicles owned by Club members are often equipped with elastic sides - though I don't think I have ever seen this mentioned in the car manufacturers' advertisements   ::)  ;)

It's  nice to see that bulbs ( and  corms and tubers ) are as popular as ever and I take heart that there are some excellent exhibits in the classes for ericaceae - your Andromeda is lovely.

Your photo of Sam , George and Sue is  a cracker, by the way.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

bainbridges

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »
Just a quickie from the Bainbridges to say thanks to everyone who came, exhibited, saw, spent, helped, and conquered (Sam and Elspeth!).  We've had brilliant help from all the Edinburgh Group over the last fifteen years;  it's truly a team effort to the point that everyone knows what to do without asking.  After a long night's sleep we're feeling like we're passing the show onto Dave in a good state and we know it will be in good hands. 

So thankyou one and all, for the flowers, the scotch and most of all the friendship.

Carole and Ian

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
Visons of Carole and Ian spending the day in a heap on the floor, surrounded by flowers and nourished by the noble barley juice have been cast aside by the arrival of Sandy Leven's report on the Forrest Medal Ranunculus - complete with lovely smiley photo of Sam:    http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/EdinburghForrest2014.pdf - includes and "advert" for Margaret and Henry Taylor's new book - Sam got the winning Ranunculus as a seedling from the Taylors. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:05:32 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Photo tweeted by Gavin McNaughton

" Show benches at SRGC Edinburgh Show yesterday. Spot the retiring Show Sec!  "
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:53:52 PM by Maggi Young »

suesimpson33

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
Yes, Maggi, you're right. My wee rhododendron is megeratum 'Bodnant' - thanks to Aberconwy a few years ago. First time it has flowered.

And can I say a big thank you too for all the useful advice and help given to me by other exhibitors and organisers (and George too, of course!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:35:09 PM by suesimpson33 »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
Sue, as with all your plants - it is a wee smasher- both in flower and leaf.  Now it has learned how to flower it should do that for you each year.
Loved the trough with the Clematis, too.

suesimpson33

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
Clematis from Aberconwy too! Think I need a spare in case I lose that one!

Photo of George, Sam and myself - that's Sam being really generous giving me two of his plants. Wonder if I'll beat him with them one day!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:40:04 PM by suesimpson33 »

jomowi

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »
Am I right in coming to the conclusion that Aberconwy don't have a web site let alone an email address?  Have searched the web without success other than listings of them. Closest I've come is a plant list - no prices - on the RHS Plantfinder (always out of date in past experience). How can a business survive these days without a web site/email address?  I bought some super plants from them yesterday, and they will be at Perth Show and would like to order more for collection there.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal