We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: House orchids  (Read 28023 times)

Bart

House orchids
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
For a while now I have been surfing the web for information about an Oncidium I bought over the internet 2 years ago. To me it is an absolute stunner and I would love to grow it well, but so far I have little luck in finding out information and also in successfully growing it. The plant in question is Oncidium varicosum 'Bailarina Mulata' :

430164-0

430168-1

As far as I can tell this plant seems identical to Oncidium varicosum var. Baldin, and appears in many Brazilian web sites. It is not in the RHS orchid register, and I can not find out what parentage this plant has.
I am afraid my little plant is not happy. It came to me in an unhappy state, but last year I got it to flower. It produced a small new pseudobulb but just this last week it has shed its 2 leaves. I don't know if this is typical for this plant. Over winter it has been sitting in a bedroom window sill with some other intermediate growing orchids. I am now wondering if it would prefer a colder winter: For about 10 years I have grown an unknown oncidium in a cold conservatory where it gets down to about 4 C at night in winter. Coelogyne, Pleione and Cymbidium thrive here, as does this Oncidium hybrid:

430166-2

The question is: Does anyone grow 'Bailerina Mulata' or knows about it? I would really appreciate any help to get this beauty going again, or even buy a new, healthy plant locally- but I do not think any nursery in the UK or the Netherlands stocks it!

Hope you can help.

In the mean time there are of course Pleione, Coelogyne, crocus, cyclamen corydalis, tulipa, ..., ..., to enjoy! It's SPRINGTIME!!!

Danshi

Re: House orchids
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
I don't grow Oncidiums, but here's a guide to growing your type of plant: http://members.optusnet.com.au/bdobson/Oncidium%20varicosum%20Culture.html
You might also like Tolumnias, which I found relatively easy to grow on a bright windowsill.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:12:41 AM by Danshi »

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »
Here are various Orchids in flower in my house at the moment. The first is a cattaleya, first time I have got this to flower so really pleased. Second is a slipper orchid Paphiopedilum, I have had this plant for years and it flowers each year without fail. Third is Dendrobium a plant I got last year in flower and have managed to get to reflower, with two new stems growing which will flower next year. Fourth & Fifth are two moth orchids Phalaenopsis, these have been in flower for ages & both have new flower stems growing.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Bart

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »
Thanks Danshi for your suggestions. I think my plant is thinking about making a new growth, just on par with the usual O. varicosum. It appears though that no one  grows this one!
In the mean time Brassia 'Eternal Wind' is mixing its scents with cyclamen pelopponesiacum, c. balearicum and Brugmansia hyb. and Coelogyne crista and C. flaccida, which is particularly strong. A mad mix!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
Discovered this much re-tweeted photo  by  https://twitter.com/Perspective_pic   

Must be the darkest cymbidium I've ever seen - I love it!

" rare black Orchid" - Cymbidium Kiwi  Midnight

Edit - found it for sale  Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight 'Geyserland'  79.95 euros  :o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:15:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:21:15 AM »
Wonder why it's called "Kiwi Midnight". I know it's all black, but is there a New Zealand connection?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ArnoldT

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »
All Blacks-Rugby?
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 05:00:15 AM »
Yes, but what's the connection? "The Kiwis" are a Rugby League team, whereas the ABs are Rugby Union, a different game code. The connection between Kiwi and All Black doesn't really exist, except that New Zealanders are now called Kiwis.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:05:37 AM by Anthony Darby »

ArnoldT

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
Anthony, that's beyond my scope of knowledge of Rugby Union and Rugby League.

Just  thought the Back could have referred to the New Zealand team.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
There seems to be another sort of orchid called "Australian Midnight"s oI suppose it may simply be to differentiate it - found this info :
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight 'Geyserland’ FCC/AOC BM/CSA   
A mericlone of the FCC awarded 'Geyserland'
(Janet Holland x Khairpour)    - so I suppose it may be posible to track down the full details of the naming, country of origin of the hybrid and so on.
FCC/AOC   presumable means it has been awarded a First Class Certificate by the Australian Orchid Scoiety.... don't know what   BM/CSA  means  but these should be traceable too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »
Her are a coulpe of plants which I have flowering at the moment in my flat.

The Lycaste aromatica fragrance is very heavy and something akin to cinnamon! This year it has graced me with 7 flowers which are about an inch across and glow bright yellow in the sunshine.

The Odontoglossum x andersonianum is a natural hybrid of Odont.crispum and O.gloriosum and has a graceful arched spike of slightly fragrant flowers.

Best, Kevin

Bart

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
That Lycaste looks great, Kevin! How do you grow it?
this morning a Paphiopedilum villosum stood out, back- lit by the rising sun: The last picture is from a week ago and shows the colour on the lip better.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
There seems to be another sort of orchid called "Australian Midnight"s oI suppose it may simply be to differentiate it - found this info :
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight 'Geyserland’ FCC/AOC BM/CSA   
A mericlone of the FCC awarded 'Geyserland'
(Janet Holland x Khairpour)    - so I suppose it may be posible to track down the full details of the naming, country of origin of the hybrid and so on.
FCC/AOC   presumable means it has been awarded a First Class Certificate by the Australian Orchid Scoiety.... don't know what   BM/CSA  means  but these should be traceable too.
Not being able to grow it in New Zealand due to import restrictions would be pretty ironic.

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
Hi Bart,

I grow it under lights indoors and found that it needs repotting pretty much every year otherwise it sulks. I find that it prefers strong air movement and it sits about four feet from a big fan, but I guess all the orchids like it to some degree.
I feed it a lot during growth and then stop watering it in November or sooner if the temp drops a lot in my draughty old house. I only give the plant very very little water during the winter otherwise it doesn't flower. In fact I only really start watering it when the flower buds are very well developed and spikes are starting to extend otherwise they drop.
Come to think about it.... Almost like a pleione... Except I don't put this one In the fridge.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »
a miniture plant growing in a three inch pot. The bud has taken five months from first showing to opening.

Paphiopedilum bellatulum
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:22:00 AM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal