We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Rock Garden and Greenhouse - Ardivachar  (Read 19108 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: New Rock Garden and Greenhouse - Ardivachar
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
It's clear who the supervisor is in pic no 4.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
It's clear who the supervisor is in pic no 4.....
Or else an (almost)  classic example of British work methods - never have all the bods at work at once!  For the truly classic example, of course,  there should be more watching than are working  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Chris Johnson

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Not posted for a while but not been idle. Several tons of soil and sand have been moved but, as with much groundwork, there if often little to show for it.

The area between the solar panels and the outbuilding has been levels to make into a herbaceous bed, both ornamental and for the kitchen. A low windbreak has been built to offer a modicum of protection (not quite finished in the image attached).

An area the length of the house was in need of excavation as it was full of builders rubble and claggy soil. Although the house has its own drainage system it was thought advisable to enhance it as the rockery slopes towards the house. The rubble was retained and put back then topped with sand and finally with gravel.

The raised bed in the greenhouse has been topped with nice clean sand from the excavations and our modest collection of plants are slowly being moved to the site.

Chris

South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Chris Johnson

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »
Is it really 8 months since I added to this thread? There was some autumn work to bring you up-to-date on but the winter months were atrocious - more later.

We has 20 tons of 20mm granite chipping delivered to cover as much of the exposed sand as possible before the autumn and winter gales. This included quite a large area to the rear of the house (shown in the last entry). More of the outcrop has been exposed and a pleasing quartz-like (I know little about geology) stratum revealed.

In the greenhouse compound I have built 8 frames but didn't have time or materials to complete the lids. This is one of my next jobs and will show images when finished.

Whilst on a recent trip to the Edinburgh area, staying with friends, we were fortunate on our last day to attend an evening talk by George Watt on developing a new 'garden'. I emphasise garden as the scale was impressive as indeed were the 24 ton digger and 5 ton dump-truck. It looked like he and his wife (Sue?) were developing a nursery rather than a grand garden scheme. I'm sure they won't mind me saying, they are not in the first flush of youth, which makes the project all the more inspirational. Very few could, or would want to, garden on this scale but it's right in my zone and I came away full of new ideas (sorry Christine). ;)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Good work there Chris. I don't envy your climate but I do envy your space.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Chris Johnson

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
We came for the space, view, and peace and quiet, David; the climate is exciting but not too good for gardening at times. ::)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
Didn't you consider Yorkshire Chris?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Chris Johnson

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
We considered many areas spending two years looking, and almost bought a place in the Pyrénées.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »
I don't envy your climate...

It's challenging, but we have no trouble with Primula suffering from summer heat though, David. If we choose carefully there are many plants that we can grow reasonably well.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
There's always an upside Matt.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Chris Johnson

« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
It's nearly all upside, David. Only the wind is challenging.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2015, 07:06:39 PM »
I have something like your climate Chris, but not your space!

And I have a lot of slugs and snails - could make a fortune selling them if somebody wanted snacks ;D They certainly taste good - they have to as they have good taste and choose only the best >:(

Any gastropods (or gastronomes) at your place?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
We have more than enough gastropods thank you, Trond. ;D ;D

In my experience, they are all pretty tough and tasteless. It's the herbs, garlic butter and baguette you have with them that tastes so good.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
Not all good news this winter as the hurricane ripped three of the roof-vents off and also damaged the polytunnel.

I was instructed to slacken off the tensioners on the automatic vents and tie them down for extra security. This I did but the relentless gales fretted away until it cut through the ties (tough baler-twine) and then mangled the openers until they broke, finally ripping the lights off. One, amazingly, ended up inside where is damaged several pots; another in the gutter and the third 50 metres away in my neighbour's field.

We lost a proportion of our meagre stock, the rest we took down to the polytunnel for the winter. Hartley's were very good in accepting responsibility and agree to replace them when weather permitted. Sadly, this wasn't until April leaving us without the greenhouse all winter. With the gales now able to enter, the sand-plunge was liberally spread over the entire inside. Our experience from the previous summer suggested that the roof-vents were not necessary so we agree to have the replacements permanently fixed. We have ample ventilation through the six large side vents.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
My word,  I don't think I had fully realised the height of the structure, Chris. Seeing the shot with the ladder  brings home the scale.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal