We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula marginata ‘Napoleon’  (Read 2697 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Primula marginata ‘Napoleon’
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
Ian in last weeks bulb log you cut back Primula marginata ‘Napoleon’. Did you put the cuttings in pure sand?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula marginata ‘Napoleon’
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
Yes, Mark, he did.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:53:40 AM »
I use silver sand mixed with vermiculite for all my cuttings Mark.  Primula so seem to respond to it very well and quickly in my experience
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:05:16 AM »
I've been lucky to have had a very good gritty sand from our builders yard last year. I've just used the last of it and hope they have something of equal quality in stock. Anyway, my point is that I have moved to rooting all my alpine cuttings in nothing but pure gritty sand and it is very successful. A sand with sharp, gritty particles seems to promote the development of a good root system and I suspect that the lack of organics avoids a lot of problems with rot that may occur in compost. It's amazing how long cuttings/plants can stay in a pot of pure sand (not that I recommend such plant torture). I have just potted up some rooted cuttings that I took last autumn, including Primula, Celmisia, Saxifrage, Salix and Rhododendron (which had a super mass of fibrous roots). Be sure to keep the sand moist (not wet). I put the pots in a small covered propagator in a shady place, which maintains moisture levels.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
What percentage of silver sand to vermicilite do you use Chris?

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
I use 50 50.  The great thing about rooting in sand is its so easy to check if they are rooted, I just gently tug and if they come out I just pop them back in. I don't cover mine but I do keep in a shady spot in the greenhouse and put the tray into a larger tray that has capillary matting in the bottom and that is always kept moist.  I've successfully done a wide variety of shrubs as well as my entire diascia collection when I had them. Primula so do very well too. If I'm doing it in late autumn they survive all winter and I pot them up from late Feb onwards. At the moment I'm doing pelargoniums (I leave my pels in the air to form a callus first), Primula marginata and auricula, a couple of alpine silenes, dianthus and more...  I'm sure Matt is right about the sharp sand too, just haven't tried it yet.  Originally opted for silver sand as its washed and thought it less likely to have any nasties in it but may give it a try now.  I already plant right into it in the garden.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »
Many thanks for your advice Chris.  I will give both yours and Matts a try.
Dave

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal