We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Asphodelus acaulis  (Read 1533 times)

Gerry Webster

Asphodelus acaulis
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
I flowered this plant for the first time this year & was quite disappointed to find that the flowers lasted less than 24hrs under glass (plastic). Is this a common experience or is my cultivation at fault?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ArnoldT

Re: Asphodelus acaulis
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
Gerry:

Yes they fade rather quickly here as well under glass in New Jersey.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
I don't think that they are so short-lived here, though I've not seen the flowers under glass. It's quite hardy in NZ at least and flowers from early winter through until early spring for me, a lot of flowers in each bunch (which I think may be at the end of a single stem) and with seed forming on the curled down stems.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ebbie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Each flower blooms relatively short, but the many buds go on successively. Therefore, the flowering period extends here with me in the alpine house for more than two weeks. Gerry, I think your plant will be still young and only make few buds.
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »
Arnold, Lesley - thanks for your responses.

Ebbie  - you are right. My plant is young; it produced only 3 buds in this, its first flowering.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Gerry, Ivor Betteridge used to have a good one that made the show bench when they had the very early non-comp at Loughborough.  His was quite large and very well flowered but I haven't seen one for quite a few years.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Darren

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »
I think I remember that plant Shelagh. Was it the one where the leaves were nice and tightly coiled on the top-dressing beneath the flowers? Whenever I have tried it the leaves grow up vertically and the flowers hide among them! Have long since given up on it as a result. Probably poor light or over-rich substrate was the cause here - I'd love to see what YT could do with this species.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »
I've grown this outside for years and it does just what Darren says. It is a plant that I must try on the sand bed under much more spartan conditions. To get good flowering plants to display though I think it needs dividing regularly - it is pretty vigorous on the raised bed in our garden.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
I've grown this outside for years and it does just what Darren says. It is a plant that I must try on the sand bed under much more spartan conditions. To get good flowering plants to display though I think it needs dividing regularly - it is pretty vigorous on the raised bed in our garden.

Astonishing to me that this lovely pant can be grown outside. Since yours is doing so  successfully, Tim,  I would certainly think that it would love life in a sand bed. And what a charming colour contrast it would bring there.  I find the colour so pretty - waiting here for buds to open.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »

I agree with you Tim . I grow it both in pot and the garden and I wil change the soil conditions in the garden in the future as it grows to good overthere...
They are both in flower but flowers in the greenhouse are much better . Outside they do ot open for the moment ....
Picture 1 & 2 in the greenhouse .
Picture 3 & 4 in the garden .
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
Thanks to everyone who commented. One of these days I hope to have plants like those of Kris.

ebbie

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
Asphodelus acaulis today in my greenhouse. It is not planted in a pot, but rather in a deep plunge. In the pot it must often divided and repotted, or it starves.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:47:50 PM by ebbie »
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
That's very nice Ebbie and not so much foliage that the flowers can't be seen.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal