We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newbie advice  (Read 1162 times)

grenadier

Newbie advice
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
:) :) Hello to all croconuts.
 I am a newbie to SRGCF,  I joined primarily because of my interest in Galanthus. However, since reading many of the articles on the SRGCF my interest has also started to encompass many other bulb species. I am looking to start a collection of crocus bulbs in the Autumn of 2014 and would really appreciate any advice croconut members could give me, namely a list of cultivars/species of crocus to start with. I would also like to purchase a good informative book on the subject of crocus, one that is ideal for a beginner. All advice would be gratefully received.

grenadier
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Re: Newbie advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »
The AGS produced a good, free, illustrated leaflet awhile back which I thought at the time was good for the beginner as it gave details of flowering times and cultivation of about 50-60 species/cultivars. If only I could find it again!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
You could do worse than start with the pages on web resources on this forum:

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10308.0

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

grenadier

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
Thanks Frazer I will try and locate a copy. Thank you also Gerry I have check the link out you gave me and first impression brilliant will spend many an hour trawling through to see what I can try in my garden.
grenadier
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal