We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 16593 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: July 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
That is so different to the plants I have grown which had much more silvered foliage but similar good flower spikes. So far I haven't succeeded with the very small low growing form collinus. If there is so much variation within a so called species one wonders why they are classed together like this? What about L. arboreus, which is very much more widely grown in gardens generally - how much does this vary? Wouldn't mind having that plant in the garden though!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2014, 06:35:51 AM »
Here is another Californian plant which has been giving a wonderfully long display this summer with us - Mimulus aurantiacus. This is relatively tender in our climate but the mild wet winter has suited it well.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Chris Johnson

« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »
Here is another Californian plant which has been giving a wonderfully long display this summer with us - Mimulus aurantiacus. This is relatively tender in our climate but the mild wet winter has suited it well.

That's an attractive looking plant Tim.

Being wet and mild in most winters up here, it might suit us, but its lax growth might succumb to the wind.

Chris
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
Tim,

Re: Lupinus albifrons

Sometimes the new growth starts out somewhat green and turns silvery as it ages during the growing season. This can be especially true for plants that are growing in lush conditions. The photographs were taken over 10 years ago when we were getting more rainfall.

Learn something new every day! L. albifrons var. collinus? What can you tell me about this form? Where in California is it found?

Lupinus arboreus does not grow in our part of California and may be tender to the cold here. I know that Ginny Hunt (Seedhunt) offers seed. For me it would be interesting to try someday, but I have other plant priorities right now.

Re: Mimulus aurantiacus

The plants in the wild look like they are dead now! Once the winter rains return (if they even do  :( ) they will be lush as can be. They bloom non-stop until it gets too dry. For us, they will bloom all summer and fall in the garden if irrigated. This can cause them to be short-lived unless the soil drainage is excellent. Here in California, there are a number of color variations and/or hybrids that are quite nice. They are well worth growing.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Roma

« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »
That second Deinanthe is a good blue, Rick.
I have seen it growing well in an Aberdeen garden in a damp, shady position
Tom Smith's garden
Deinanthe caerulea
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

meanie

« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
The end of July nears, so one last post.

I cannot describe how pleased I am with the way that my Bomarea has grown into the Philadelphus. It's a different plant now that it is in the ground with more height and far larger clusters of flowers. Not a good photo of the flowers, but it gives a fair impression of how well it has grown into it.....................

It has been a good summer for some of the climbers/vines. Here is one of the first flower buds forming on my Caiophora hibiscifolia...........

My white and blue Sollya flanking the Rhodochiton.....................

Strangely, my Eccromocarpus scaber stopped blooming for a few weeks, but here it is back in bloom..................

last few flowers on my Aloe striatula catching the sun..............

And Nerium oleander in bloom at last....................
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
Here we are half way through the hot dry season. Most of the garden is holding up well considering the drought and water shortage. We were asked to cut our water use by 30% and so far we have cut our use by 50%. This sounds good, however it was part of the plan to plant row crops late to reduce evapo-transpiration. Now we will see if this all works out.

The Monsoon has been strong and early this year. The Sierra have received good rain, while we have been teased, most of the time, with a few drops. The monsoon also brings heat. We have already filled our average quota for days 38c or more for the whole season. So we could have a new record for hot weather this summer.

The first Cyclamen hederifolium flower for this season.

Crocosmia 'Solfatare' is a weed that I keep pulling out, however a few pieces seem to always remain.

Solidago canadensis ssp. elongata is from the high country but very much at home in the garden here at the farm.

The pink Larkspur that does not want to give up. The others are long gone.

I love the color of the pink larkspur with Lupinus albifrons.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Growild

• Growild Nursery
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
Please ignore above sent it to the wrong thread - I still think its July!

Edit by maggi - I moved it to "August"  for you, Lisa  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:03:08 PM by Maggi Young »

Gene Mirro

« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
Some July blooms:

Lilium fargesii:

459130-0

Lilium superbum:

459132-1

Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal