We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14049 times)

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Re: September 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2014, 04:49:30 AM »

Ooo that's lovely. Well captured Anthony. I used to hate gladdies (probably Barry Humfries' fault) but as I mature I like them more.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »
How strange. It's a common garden plant.
Yes, reasonably common down this way, usually as a double which I don't like in this case, but so many people have given up on them because if they're visible from the street or even if someone mentions you're growing them, you're likely to be visited by those idiots who want an illicit high. We had some in our first garden together and a car which ostensibly "broke down" outside our gate, disgorged it's 3 passengers to come and have a look round the nursery/ garden. I've never seen less likely-looking nursery visitors in my life. Next morning, every poppy plant had been uprooted and removed, even the orientals which would be useless for their purposes anyway. We never heard a thing in the night but they took my portable radio too, which lived in the potting shed. It had a tape in it which I couldn't replace, one I'd bought in Dublin. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
Lesley,

Very sorry to here that you have such barbarians in your area. At our Sacramento garden we have to put up with such things too. A few years ago, I strolled to the front yard with a hot morning tea to find someone in the front yard with an arm load of our flowers ripped from the ground. When I was noticed, they jumped away like wild deer smashing more of the garden before jumping in their car and speeding away. We are not the only ones having to put up with such nonsense in our area. Most of our gardening goes on in the back yard now.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2014, 01:18:17 AM »
Hi Jamus,
I have plenty of  Danish flag seed from last season stored refrigerated also some seed of the blue and purple poppy that you showed a picture of, that one came up in my garden I can only guess the seed was dropped by a bird (lucky for me). If you like you can send me a pm with your address and I will get them off to you.
cheers John.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal