We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 29th 2014 Hexham Show  (Read 8172 times)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
March 29th 2014 Hexham Show
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Having received my shows handbook, I realise that it is still showing that entries are to be submitted to Alan Newton. That was intended to be a temporary measure for last year as I may have been away until a few days before the show. This year I do not have that problem, so entries can be sent directly to me (contact details as listed under show secretary). My apologies for not picking this up in the proof-reading stage

However if you do send your entries to Alan, I'm sure that I will receive them anyway.

Also one further error that slipped through unnoticed is that the SRGC show schedules are still showing that the Ione Hecker Memorial prize is to be awarded for the best pan of Primulaceae. This is an AGS travelling award that was awarded at Hexham last year, but it won't be awarded there this year! Instead, we have the Roger Smith Cup as this year's AGS travelling award, and it will be awarded to the winner of class 103 (6 pans of rock plants raised from seed by the exhibitor)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:44:07 AM by Maggi Young »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: March 29th 2014 Hexham Show
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
I will make a correction to the Ione Hecker note in the online version of the Show Schedules, Peter, as I have already done for the reception of entries, as well as mentioning this in the Website Show area.

Perhaps some greater attention to proof-reading in future would be beneficial?   ??? ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:15:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
Guilty as charged!  :-[
At least concerning the entries  ;)

Whilst I am discussing the show, it's probably worth mentioning for exhibitors that we used to be provided with car park passes for the exhibitors and nurserymen for the large car park next to the show hall. Unfortunately due to changes in ownership/administration of the leisure centre, they are no longer able to offer this concession to us. Fortunately it was only £2.00 for the whole day last year (I haven't been along to the venue recently).
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
Next SRGC Show is  The Northumberland Show at HEXHAM.    TOMORROW!!

March 29        12 noon to 4.00 pm

NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW SRGC/AGS , The Wentworth Leisure Centre, Hexham, NE46 3PN.  (A69 roundabout, turn towards Hexham; straight on; show is next to Waitrose supermarket on left after Station Road) Joint Rock Committee will meet at this show.

Show Secretary Peter Maguire, 18 Princes Meadow, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE3 4RZ. Tel: 0191 2840385, email: Peter.Maguire@agsgroups.org

Exhibitors will be able to unload plants at the back entrance, but must then move their cars promptly to the car park (passes will be available as usual)

See here for Show Schedules.
N. B. There are some errors in the printed version of the Show Schedule so please check carefully.

Exhibitors should note that SRGC Show Notes and Regulations apply this year, and
AGS next year. Accordingly a Forrest medal may be awarded this year.

Members of both AGS & SRGC are eligible for all prizes, medals and other awards. Points count towards Seasonal Aggregates and Merit Medals according to membership.
The Ione Hecker award  will not be competed for at this show - instead,  the Roger Smith Cup, an AGS travelling award,  will be awarded to the winner of class 103 (6 pans of rock plants raised from seed by the exhibitor) ( not as given in printed schedule)
Bulbous plants: includes corms and tubers but NOT rhizomes and Orchidaceae
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:49:11 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
My goodness, it's nearly 7pm on  Thursday evening - what's the betting that there are folks all over the place beavering away to get plants ready for the Hexham Show this Saturday?  Hope they've got better weather than here or the exhibits will risk being frozen  :-X

angie

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »

My goodness, it's nearly 7pm on  Thursday evening - what's the betting that there are folks all over the place beavering away to get plants ready for the Hexham Show this Saturday?  Hope they've got better weather than here or the exhibits will risk being frozen  :-X

No plants to take to Hexham Maggi but going all the same. I have heard so much about this show that I thought I better go and see it for myself.  ;)

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »
You'll love it, Angela - it's a lovely show- Carol and John Marriott are going too, I'm sure you know- you'll see Christine Boulby there, of course - and do you remember Alan and Brenda Newton from their visit to our show ? And there are lots  more folk you'll know from  our show and the SRGC Discussion Weekends, too. Hope there's a good turnout of Scots going down.
Travel safely and have a wonderful time  :) :-*

angie

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
Thanks Maggi, looking forward to see all the lovely plants that I wish I could grow. Hopefully there will be a few of us Scots there. Graham Catlow kindly offered to take me from his house in Edinburgh but I had already made alternative plans. What lovely kind folks we have in our club.
Will be past to see your garden soon, I bet it's looking lovely at this time of year. See you soon  :-*

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
A couple of photos from Alan Elliott of plants headed to the RBGE display at Hexham Show today :

"Dainty wee Fritillaria crassifolia ssp. poluninii is on its way from The Botanics to the Hexham show"

And  a collection of plants waiting in the potting shed for their trip

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
Ok here are a few pics I took at the show today.
First a lovely rhododendron shown by Stan de Prato
Pot of Hepatica nobilis I think it's David Boyd's but didn't make a note so not sure
Jean Wyllies lovely shortia. 
Grevillea lanigera shown by Barry Winter
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:34:10 PM by Maggi Young »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »
Great start Christine ... can't wait for your further posts.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ChrisB

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
Frit. acmopetala Wendelboi shown by Cyril Lafong
Frit. aurea x pinnardii shown by Don Peace
Trillium something ending in Hill lol didn't get label someone will sort me out shown by the Bundys of Hensall
Callianthemum kernianum shown by the Wrights of Stockport
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
Primula 'Mars' shown as part of an amazing six pan and winner of the Forrest Medal by guess who? Yes, Cyril Lafong.  Bravo!!
Another of his breathtaking six pan exhibit this time his Trillium rivale
And his Primula allionii sorry couldn't read the name also part of the six pan
There were of course three more but I didn't get them sorry...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:15:27 PM by ChrisB »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
Just that shortia makes me wish we lived in a cooler climate Chris - what a lovely plant. Who is going to update Alfred Evans' book on the peat garden? (Or should I call it the 'sustainable peat garden'). I love reading this whilst at the same time being unable to grow virtually all of the plants he mentions as well as they deserve, if at all. David Sampson used to grow these plants very well down in the south, so with care...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ChrisB

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
This P. allionii was so perfect....shown by Sam Sutherland of Kinkardine
Sax.concinna Ben Loyal shown by Robert Rolfe
Sax. X ? sorry didn't get name sure hope someone else did it was lovely also didn't get the shower
Paraquilegia grandiflora
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal