We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 23343 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2008, 11:39:07 PM »
Great pics everyone.  Just beautiful!!  I love in particular that clump of Dactylorhiza elata.  What a clump!!  Thanks for posting them Fermi, plus your own pics.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:30 AM »
Hello, Friends,
 A question just received from Stan Grainger in New Zealand...... I thought you folks were better qualified than I to make suggestions for the care of these plants, so all help gratefully received.....

"Here in NZ we are going through the early summer drought when all the early spring plants are heavy with seed and have lost their charm, eg. arenaria, asperula, aethonema, acquilegia, chieranthus, dianthus, draba, lewisia, nierembergia, oenothera, oxalis, plox, ptilotrichium, saponaria, vitaliana ,veronica etc etc. What do you suggest the best treatment to ensure their strong seasonal return: complete shearing off or such?
 Thank you

Stan  "

Some more info from Stan: "Further to my note, it should be mentioned that we garden in Central Otago, a fact relevant to the Forum people.
Thank you again
Stan Grainger (of Alexandra under the Old Man)"
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
Oh well, in that case I'll modify my above suggestions slightly. Hi Stan and Brenda. Great that you lurk here, but take the plunge and join the rest of the mad folk who post. That would be even better.

Because of Central's consistently hotter, drier summer, once I'd collected seed I'd be inclined just to trim and NOT water unless there was real danger of the plant dying of drought. I'm a great believer in letting a plant's roots struggle down for moisture, instead of being encouraged up by watering, which leaves them vulnerable to the next hot day and drying wind. Sure everything will look shabby until there is natural water (rain) but in the long run, the plants may be better off. If you DO water, water deep, not just a light, surface watering. sometimes I leave the hose dripping onto the plant for hours (Roger didn't hear me say that), literally, a drip every few seconds, which after time does a thorough watering with no surface run-off and so no wastage. But maybe that's not a great problem with you, with the mighty Clutha at your door.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2008, 11:50:37 PM »
Thought that I might put up a few things flowering the last week or so.  Lilium Martagon did really well, up until some nasty wind a few days ago that knocked it around and finished it.  It flowered for ages, and was late flowering, because of all the cold weater we had in December.  Even today it isn't real warm outside, 10 degrees or so.
Also a photo of the Fernery, with Dicentra Pearl Drop and the climbing Hydrangea growing up one of the man ferns.  Also on the side is the finishing buds of our yellow Tasmanian Waratah (Telopea Truncata).
Lesley
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
 :o :o WOW  :o :o

I love your L. martagon field!!  8)
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2008, 08:22:42 PM »
Perhaps I could use this thread to see if Australian friends could help me a little.

Through the Seed Ex. I have seed of Diplarena morea and D. latifolia, and also Albuca shawii (of which Paul has a picture on the PBS Wiki). It's all part of my 'cunning plan' to try as many of the SH plants as I can and see how many of them are reasonably successful in the NH. The questions I have are:- are these Summer or Winter growers with you, and bearing this in mind when should I sow them?

Any help would be appreciated.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
See these two Bulb Logs to see what Ian has to say about Albuca shawii
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2004/190804/log.html
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/310805/log.html 

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
See these two Bulb Logs to see what Ian has to say about Albuca shawii
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2004/190804/log.html
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/310805/log.html 

There's always a clue! In the 2005 item Ian says he was going to try Albuca shawii outside-did he succeed? Given that it looks like a Summer grower for us when would you sow seed ??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:30 PM »
Well, he hasn't actually got round to planting Albuca shawii outside yet, but he's had a potfull sitting outside the greenhouse for the last two years! It's fine! I'd sow the seeds now.

Ezeiza

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Hi Maggie:

Seeing how well Albuca shawii does over here with a loooooong hoooot summer, I would only try a small bulb outdoors
in Aberdeen!
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
I would only try a small bulb outdoors
in Aberdeen!

That's what I would have thought... it is extraordinary that the pot full has been okay... I suppose the fact that it is in a pot and with very free draining compost helps. There is nothing about Aberdeen, ever, that is long and hot!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2008, 02:06:52 PM »
  Dear Friends, I have received news via Tasmania and England of the death of the great plantswoman, Essie Huxley. Here is a note from Derek Bacon, Forumist and old friend of Essie......

" I am not sure how many on this Forum were like me and in contact with Essie Huxley in Longley, Tasmania but I have been asked to tell you that she passed away on 22nd January.  I first got in contact with her about 40 years ago through the AGS; she was a wonderful Plantswoman, there was nothing she did not know about Tasmanian plants and sent seeds from her garden all over the world. A grand gardener, she will be missed.
Derek Bacon"

I expect that Essie's memory will be toasted at the NZAGS Study weekend, where many of her friends and admirers are gathered at present in Christchurch, New Zealand.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »
We have indeed lost a great gardener, her knowledge of plants and bulbs was truly a revelation every time I talked to her.  She will be missed by many  :'(
Lesley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:39:33 PM by Maggi Young »
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:39 PM »
It is terrific, though, Lesley, that Essie was able to share her knowledge with all sorts of people over the years, and even to be in contact at her advanced age, with bright young things like yourself, who can carry on her enthusiasm well into "new" century. 8)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
Sad, but not unexpected. Essie has been in and out of hospital in the last few weeks. When I last saw her a fortnight ago, the conversation turned to the decline of the garden of a recently deceased friend. She hoped that the same fate wouldn't happen to her own garden. I'm sure everyone who visited her and benefited from her generosity hopes the same thing.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal