We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus  (Read 26275 times)

ArnoldT

Winter Narcissus
« on: December 21, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
Winter arrived here 20 mins. ago.
Narcissus romieuxii tow views
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Winter Narcissus
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
I think winter arrived here too just yesterday Arnold though it is just 3 days before our mid summer Christmas! Wild, slashing rain and hail, a bitter wind and low, low temperature. Today is better - no rain - yet - but it certainly doesn't feel like summer!

Your Narcissus are beautiful and no doubt many more are on the way. What is wonderful about our gardens is that no matter what season it is and how much we miss this or that plant, we know it will be along again in due course. There's always something - many things - to look forward to. I'm looking forward to Iris reticulata forms while Iris ensata is flowering. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
 Some pictures  from  the alpine house at RBGE. Some appeared on TV and some newspapers recently   in items about unusually mild weather bringing on  early flowering.  The reporters exaggerated just how early they are as they seemed to think all daffodils  flower in spring.  Most of these are forms of Narcissus bulbocodium ie N. b. praecox and albidus  or N. romieuxii. Also in the sand plunge is  a white Nerine and Crocus laevigatus in a lilac form.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »
I saw those reports, Stan - I was a bit surprised that no-one  from RBGE had tried to explain the position regarding the flowering season of these flowers - but then decided that the RBGE was probably just grateful for any publicity, even if misleading!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ArnoldT

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »
Here's two:

Narcissus cantabricus Peppermint
and
Narcissus cantabricus eu-albidus
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:36 AM »
I saw those reports, Stan - I was a bit surprised that no-one  from RBGE had tried to explain the position regarding the flowering season of these flowers - but then decided that the RBGE was probably just grateful for any publicity, even if misleading!
I think the botanics  people did try but   the media had decided on  their story  regardless!

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 03:13:20 AM »
Happy New Year for all formists :) :) :)
This is my first post of 2014.
Narcissus albidus var. foliosus, ex. SF 284/2. This is the first flowering hoope-petticoats in my stock. There are at least 2 different seedlings in this pot and I'll post the others later.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
Happy New Year Tatsuo
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
Atlas Gold, shining in the darkness of this wet day
North of France

ArnoldT

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
Two for today.

Temps  here at 9F this morning.

Narcissus romieuxii Julia Jane
and
Narcissus cantabricus subsp. cantabricus var. kesticus
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
Lovely Arnold. Despite the awful weather here Julia Jane is just starting to open her buds for me too. I was also pleased to notice today that some seedlings of N. rupicola watieri that I sowed in September are pushing through now.  :) I have also sowed some kesticus, so hopefully these have germinated, this will be a new plant to my collection. 
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Starting to flower here  N romieuxii JCA805. Most are very floppy due to lack of light
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
I think the botanics  people did try but   the media had decided on  their story  regardless!

That sounds about right Stan. Newspaper reporters get a fixed idea in their heads, maybe something to make a good headline, and they want to know NOTHING of the real circumstances. "Don't let a few FACTS spoil a good story." >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
What a difference a day makes (cue for song?). Beautiful day today, dry (for a change) and sunny (for even a greater change) and un-seasonally mild-back to normal tomorrow though.

Chance to look in at the greenhouse without getting soaking wet-Narcissus romieuxii 'Joy Bishop'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »
At last we also have some respite with dry, sunny and calm days. Forecast to continue for a while too!  :)

Narcissus 'Camoro' has just gone over, her flowers having lasted for almost a month but little chance to enjoy them with the foul weather we've had.

Narcissus romieuxii 'Julia Jane' has taken over, these flowers have just opened with more buds to come. Amazingly, the plant is not too etiolated either! The white chips would not be my first choice, but believe it or not marble grit is the cheapest we can get here (quarried 'locally' on Skye and used a lot for harling).

Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal