We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel  (Read 22539 times)

Carsten

Re: Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »
Maybe this can help ... Online ,downloadable  version of  Hepatica book by Andreas Händel

http://www.flowercards.de/pdf/Hepatica%20-%20Leberbluemchen.pdf
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:53:02 PM by Maggi Young »
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to an online copy of the book. It's gorgeous and would be totally worth having if it were in English.  I have a friend I'm going to send the link too. She's gone crazy for hepaticas (and snowdrops).

Someone needs to contact the author (does he speak English?) and find out if an English translation is still in the works.  For all we know it's coming out soon.  Or it could be he couldn't find a publisher in which case we wouldn't want to contact places he's already tried.  Contacting the author is the first step.  Anyone have an in with him?  Can anyone provide an email?  Speaking of places to try has anyone contacted the AGS?  They also publish books and this would be right up their alley.  I am a member but I'd guess in person contact would be more effective.

Koko Koreda lives in the US and has offered to lend me her book to approach Timber Press but I won't be taking her up on her offer until the author and the AGS have been contacted. I think it would be better to show Timber Press an actual copy of the book.

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
I have made  various attempts to contact the author, via his website - to no avail.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 09:40:11 PM »
You'd think he'd want his book translated into English.  I'm sure it was a labor of love but still a few bucks or pounds here or there never hurt anything.  I know Koko said she'd tried to contact him and never got a response either. 

Rather frustrating.  The book looks lovely and like it probably has valuable information.

Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
Everyone...I have seen the author on the few plant exchanges in Germany before. Should he meet me again this year, I will address him and describe the general demand for an English version of the book.

Perhaps this can be helpful...

Happy weekend
Thomas

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:40 PM »
Excellent idea, Thomas, thank you!

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »
I should think half the Forum members would buy it.  It should be a no-brainer for his publisher.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

KK-Ann Arbor

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 05:26:48 PM »
I thought a German Hepatica event coming up in Austria soon.  Maybe Mr. Hepatica appearance?
in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - USDA Zone 5a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 09:06:21 PM »
According to his website , Mr  Haendal is expected at  various events listed on this page :
http://www.misterhepatica.de/en/boersen/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 09:54:55 PM »
The book, as original (ie. printed in German) is offered for sale on Ashwood Nursery’s
Web Site and, as far as I know, no attempt has been made to produce an English version. If my German was substantially better than it is ( mainly non-existent) I would be asking the Author a number of questions viz:

Do you have plans to publish at some time an English version?
Does any legal copyright arrangement on the work rest with you as Author or with a third-party publisher.?
If not would you be interested in other parties preparing an estimated cost of producing an English version on your behalf?
Would you expect to receive a royalty payment from any sales so produced?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 11:51:26 PM »
A little progress for this topic...at the bottom of the website discovered by Maggi is a contact address.

I can highly recommend the following translator...www.deepl.com
I don't speak English and therefore I use this program every day to communicate with you...it seems to work...doesn't it? 😊

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
Everyone...I have seen the author on the few plant exchanges in Germany before. Should he meet me again this year, I will address him and describe the general demand for an English version of the book.
Perhaps this can be helpful...
Happy weekend
Thomas

Following this advice I asked Andreas Händel today (in Knechtsteden/Galanthus event). He told me that an English version of his book was in progress already. It will take some time until it will be released because he plans to  use 'crowdfunding'.
Sorry - I don't understand the procedure mentioned and there was little time to discuss in detail because Mr. Händel was somewhat busy because
a lot of customers were waiting on his stand.
I guess there will be some information available next time.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
Many thanks for doing that Gerd, very helpful. "Crowdfunding" is a method of raising funds through various Social Media platforms by advertising that funds are sought, in this case to fund the production of an English version of the book, and people are able to subscribe amounts that they choose. Best explanation I can give and perhaps not a very good one!

Since some of us have nothing to do with Social Media I hope information on what, if anything, is happening, on this matter is fed here so that the
""Unbelievers"" who might wish to contribute are aware.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:23:29 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Since I've taken part in crowdfundings already several times, I can explain a little bit. In the www there are several "crowdfunding platforms" where you can become a member, that costs nothing.  I'm member of Kickstarter (worldwide, mainly America) and Startnext (for the German-speaking area). People who want to collect money via crowdfunding announce their projects there.

So we first should know which platform Andreas Händel is using. I'll see him next sunday in  Mannheim and I'll ask him.

Usually you can choose how much you wish to invest and depose a credit card number or bank account, which is stored safely by the plattform organization (who takes a little fee for its service). The announcer has to define a goal for his request, a certain sum he wishes to reach. Only if this sum is signed, you have to pay (and you're informed by E-Mail). If not, the whole project is gone.

The contributions are in steps and except the lowest you always get a little reward, f.i. a bookmark, a postcard with a related photo or a whole book. Surely the rewards don't have the same worth as your donation - the goal is to collect money, not to sell something.

You can inform yourself on www.kickstarter.con or any other platform (some are specialized f.i. on sports or arts or . . .)

BW
Hannelore
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:13:16 PM by Hannelore »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal