We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne bholua seedling  (Read 2000 times)

monocotman

Daphne bholua seedling
« on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
Hi,

I appear to have a small seedling growing about 18 inches from a flowering Daphne Bholua 'Jacqueline Postill'.
It is about a foot high and identical in leaf to the other.
Could it be a seedling or is it more likely to be a sucker?
If it is a seedling when is the best time to move it?

Thanks,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Daphne bholua seedling
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
Highly likely to be a sucker, ours sends no end up and was a sucker taken from a friends originally.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
My experience too, the parent plant is now about 3 metres high and 2 wide and whilst smelling wonderful this time of year it does send up a lot of suckers. I must have pulled out twenty today when clearing up under the plant. As Brian suggests if you get a sucker with a bit of root they soon produce good plants.

glynnffc

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
Funny how things link up.
I seem to have spent the whole day trying to find some-one with this plant for sale, having seen the amazing plant  at Holeherd in the Lakes this week.
If anyone can spare a sucker,cutting or whatever i would be very grateful.
Glynn

PS I thought many of the plants were grafted.

monocotman

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
Thanks for the info.
how big do you leave the suckers before trying to move them?
I must admit I also thought that the 'JP' clone was grafted.
Good news that it isn't and that there is a ready source of new plants in the garden.
One of my plant fantasies is a hedge of 'JP' in a sheltered part of the garden,
Regards,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
Funny how things link up.
I seem to have spent the whole day trying to find some-one with this plant for sale, having seen the amazing plant  at Holeherd in the Lakes this week.
If anyone can spare a sucker,cutting or whatever i would be very grateful.
Glynn

PS I thought many of the plants were grafted.

Karen Junker lists it:-

http://www.junker.co.uk/frames.htm

though having said that her web site hasn't been updated recently, but it's a strong possibility
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

glynnffc

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »
Thanks David, I, d found that as well, but she only has large plants and the "man anda van " delivery costs were considerably more than the plant.
Most places seem to keep a waiting list, so I might have to be patient and join  the queue.
Glynn

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »
Glynn, not sure where you live but you might be lucky and find a grafted plant in one of the larger garden centre chains. That's how I got mine a few years ago now though. I had to talk to it pretty severely to get it to flower at first but for the last couple of years it's been beautiful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

monocotman

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Done a bit more research and there seem to be two sorts of plants of 'JP' available in the trade.
One sort is micro-propagated and the other grafted.
Only the micro -propagated plants sucker.
One source recommends severing the suckers well underground and leaving for 6 months
 for good roots to develop before transplanting.
Another web site states that the grafted plants flower more profusely than the micro-propagated plants
but are shorter lived.
David

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal