We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cuttings in December  (Read 1115 times)

WivekaR

Cuttings in December
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
During the night two fir threes fell over my little woodland border. Guessing from the position of the trunks my Cornus Kousa "Eddies white wonder" must have been crushed :'(. It was planted in 2011 had just this year started to grow vigorously.  What would be my best bet on taking cuttings now? A) Prepare the cuttings and leave them outdoors. (I am guessing my USDA zone is 5-6). B) Prepare cuttings and take them indoors about +10C. C) Cut longer branches and store cold until spring and prepare the cuttings then. Other suggestions?
Wiveka
Gothenburg, Sweden. USDA zone 5 or 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cuttings in December
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
Bad weather causing damage in all sorts of places this week - sorry to hear about the fallen trees, Wiveka.
I would think that some hardwood cuttings, around 30cms long, buried to half their length in a trench ( under a hedge, perhaps, where the soil is still  quite warm)  and by next spring there may well be root growth.
I would also  hope that even the crushed main  plant might be able to regenerate from its base next year - good luck!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »
I think a lot of these cornus are grafted but there is talk of them coming from layering so Maggie's idea of large cuttings is probably the best way to go unless you want to try grafting. Try scraping some bark from the cutting as if you would do by layering.
Susan
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:18:28 PM by Susan Band »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

GordonT

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
During the night two fir threes fell over my little woodland border. Guessing from the position of the trunks my Cornus Kousa "Eddies white wonder" must have been crushed :'(. It was planted in 2011 had just this year started to grow vigorously.  Other suggestions?
Wiveka

How much of the trunk is left? Cornus will often send up growths from below, if the top is lost. Cornus Eddie's White Wonder (a hybrid of Cornus nuttalii and Cornus florida) is likely a grafted plant. If your tree snapped off above the graft, there is a very good chance that it will send out replacement growth once spring arrives. Just make sure that growth from above the graft point is kept as replacement. Once it gets long enough, you can bend it into vertical position, securing it to the remains of the old trunk it will eventually replace.We were given a  Cornus kousa 'Satomi' that had died above the grafting point, but the rootstock (Cornus kousa chinensis) sent out replacement growth, which grew into a beautiful tree. If the tree snapped below the graft point, you will need to attempt the cuttings.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal