We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus that are truly easy to recognise!  (Read 57856 times)

Tim Harberd

Re: Galanthus that are truly easy to recognise!
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2013, 10:14:53 PM »
Hi Steve,
   Which commoner snowdrops have you been collecting? And why did you start doing it in the first place??
   I’ve posted before on this forum about my ‘scentless’ Sam Arnotts, when all the catalogues rave about the fragrance. I was thinking about buying SA, from as many different sources as I could, to see what I got. But maybe you’ve done it already?

Tim DH

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #211 on: December 26, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »
I'd say most snowdrops are scented
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »

It does matter where you plant them...if they are in pots and are brought indoors you very soon detect the scents, outside it is not such an easy matter!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
I agree with Brian.  To catch the scent of snowdrops outdoors you need an unusually warm still day.  Bring them indoors and it's easy. 
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »
Hi Guys,
   Thanks for your thoughts on snowdrop scent, but you’ll see from the attached photo that I ought to be able to smell them… This clump nestles in a corner of the greenhouse. I do wonder if the problem is my nose! One of my other ‘hats’ is bee-keeping, so I’m often immersed in honey scent! Perhaps the snowdrop’s effort is too subtle for me to pick up.
   Then again, none of my visitors has ever commented on Sam Arnott’s scent.

Tim DH

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
Hi Steve,
   Which commoner snowdrops have you been collecting? And why did you start doing it in the first place??
   I’ve posted before on this forum about my ‘scentless’ Sam Arnotts, when all the catalogues rave about the fragrance. I was thinking about buying SA, from as many different sources as I could, to see what I got. But maybe you’ve done it already?

Tim DH
Hi Tim,
         Sorry for the delay(I think it's christmas :P).I have been collecting everthing but S.Arnott.I think it's sterile?so no seedlings to mix up.I've got two versions of 'Lady Beatrix Stanley', 'The Pearl','Doncaster's Double Scharlock' and 'Melvillei'.I know there are a couple more out there.I WILL NOT say where they came from :-X,because that wouldn't be fair.That's probably left you with more questions than answers.......But it doesn't hurt to buy the same plant from different places...... ;D
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »
'Snowdrops, like primroses, should be in every garden, but there are so many species, hybrids and garden forms of Galanthus that it is sometimes difficult for the ordinary mortal to select the right ones for his garden'. Believe it or not this was written just over fifty years ago in the December edition of the AGS Bulletin - 1967! The author goes on: 'This means that snowdrops for garden decoration should be large enough to make a show when seen at 20 yards range. There is no place, therefore, for G. rizehensis - charming and early flowering though it is - for at that range it is difficult to distinguish the flowers from the droppings of a small bird.'

Here is G. rizehensis close up - a lovely plant - and at ten yards nestled a foot or two in front of the magnolia stems in the distance. Granted the surrounding weeds help it meld in (!) but it is a plant to cherish by its discovery in the garden, rather than its boldness.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:43:16 PM by Maggi Young »
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2014, 06:17:53 PM »
every collection of snowdrops should include the species
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Trying again - I think the image didn't save properly on my computer. This is a weedy part of our garden that needs some attention!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2014, 10:31:04 AM »
I agree, as I bring the flowers in to photograph, very few are not scented.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #220 on: January 20, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »
Tim
"Believe it or not this was written just over fifty years ago in the December edition of the AGS Bulletin - 1967!" - I don't believe it, but I might in 3 years!

Frazer
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
Hi Brian,
   Do you think it would be a good idea to modify your first post in this thread with a foot note to point newbies to post #162 on p11?

Apart from that…. Do you think the collection/catalogue is a historical document? A snapshot of the way things were in 2013??  Or is it an evolving thing?

Tim DH

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2016, 07:53:06 PM »
Tim (butting in before Brian responds) I am broadly of the same opinion that I held in 2013.

The longer a snowdrop cultivar exists, the more likely it is that someone will find another one that looks similar.  Just look at 'Magnet' which was followed by 'Wisley Magnet', 'Benton Magnet' and now 'Blue Magnet', which I don't think I have ever heard of before.  All these are distinguishable but still tend to make the original less distinct.  ...

There is also a chance that random mutations can result in diversity amongst what is nominally the same clone.  ...
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
   Do you think it would be a good idea to modify your first post in this thread with a foot note to point newbies to post #162 on p11?

Thanks for the suggestion Tim, I have done that now.

Do you think the collection/catalogue is a historical document? A snapshot of the way things were in 2013??  Or is it an evolving thing?
Tim DH

I would hope that people would use it as perhaps a starting point, substituting newer (better?) varieties for those on the list which would give a wonderfully diverse collection.  All in all it really is a question of personal preference, when we undertook the compilation a huge number of people had some input so in lots of ways it was an amalgamation of their views - not necessarily mine...after all what does it matter what I think - it is up to the individual to assess what they want to grow and I hope that this acts as a pointer.  Some snowdrops, of course, could not be substituted ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal