We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Over wintering hepatica  (Read 2893 times)

Garry Edwards

• Wwww.meadowviewgardens.org
Over wintering hepatica
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:00:59 AM »
I am looking for some advice on the best way to overwinter hepatica in pots.
I have been growing my plants in a cold frame in the shade under a large maple tree for the summer and they have all formed very large buds.
But what to do with them in the winter months.
Our winter temps will hit -20 to -30 but will probably average - 10ish with limited snow cover.
I have insulated cold frames and a heated greenhouse which will be kept frost free.We have a large plant show that we are attending in early April and would like to have some hepatica in flower for that.
Not sure what is going to work the best.
Garry Edward's.
Nurseryman,grower,and propagator since 1978.

Garry.meadowviewgardens@gmail.com

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Over wintering hepatica
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »
What species are you growing and what part of the country are you in?  Hepatica nobilis and cultivars, and H. transylvanica, are hardy here in Calgary, zone 3, without protection.  If you search on this forum, you'll see some really good examples of it growing here.  I'll have to check my photos on the other computer but I suspect early April is not too  far from when they start blooming in the ground here.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:16:17 AM by Lori S. »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Garry Edwards

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »
I am growing Hepatica nobilis and cultivars we are living in Ontario in the Linsay area.
With out protection when grown in the ground yes but not in pots!!
Garry Edward's.

Lori S.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:12 AM »
Sure, doesn't sound insurmountable... The pots could be sunk in the ground then brought into the greenhouse to promote blooming for the time you need them to bloom.  When do they normally bloom outdoors in the ground there? 
Lori

Garry Edwards

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »
I am not sure, this is the first time I have grown them and have not seen one blooming before.
Garry Edward's.

Lori S.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:54:04 AM »
Looking through my photos, they start to bloom here in latest March to mid-late April, depending when the snow melts off (can vary quite a bit), and continuing through into May.  Looks like you're right on one of the Great Lakes so I imagine you're 2-3 zones warmer than here(?) though I'd guess with a lot more snow... ? 
Note: There are members on this forum from Ontario, who would be much more familiar with your climate and the timing for hepatica bloom there.  I hope they will comment.

Anyway, however you choose to winter them over, I would suppose that waking them up by bringing them into warm conditions a few weeks before your show would get them blooming when you need them.  Would the plants be in their second year by next spring, or are they older?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:55:40 AM by Lori S. »
Lori

samsgarden

• "the more I grow the less I know" - Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:13:06 AM »
Quite a challenge Garry!  My Hepaticas are in ground under an apple tree.  The first photo was taken 2013-04-30. Snow melt in that location is slower and receives mid to late afternoon sun at that time of year with no tree leaf. Our snow cover was less than normal last year….near Midland south of Georgian Bay area. We are Zone 5a. Lindsay is more interior, Zone 4b?  If you keep your pots in the cold frame all winter they would have to come out mid March perhaps taken to your greenhouse for forcing or if your cold frame has sun most of the day in March perhaps they’d come along earlier?  Another hot March Break like we had in 2012 you’d be seeing faster bloom time!  The second photo was from 2012-04-13, two weeks earlier than 2013.  Something to go by.
Sure hope you can confer with another Nursery owner to make your enquiries about pot grown Hepatica, perhaps Margorie and Jeff Mason at Mason House Gardens near Uxbridge.
Sharon
Sharon
Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada - Zone 5a
-30C - +30C  Average Snowfall 285.0cm

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
Garry  - This is how we pack coldframes for the winter here.  The wood chips are squeezed between the pots too, as is humanly possible.  Then in December a stout (snowload!) sheet of styro goes atop with cinder blocks to weigh it down OR  lath and then covered with white plastic (not clear) and tightly secured with pieces of nailed lath.  We remove the plastic in mid to late March during a foggy stretch.  Should work perfectly for Hepaticas as they are extrememly hardy, the killer here is the wet as much as the cold and freeze thaw.

We'll start on the weekend................we've had a very light frost but not enough to ruin flowers on Rhododendron trichostomum, when the first real cold comes it's going to be a damn good one.

johnw
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:16:53 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal