We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: newbie seed request for epigaea  (Read 3308 times)

fenius

newbie seed request for epigaea
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
Hello everyone!
I've been looking for epigaea repens and e. asiatica for quite some time and I was wondering if you could help me find seeds of them this coming spring maybe .. Or if anyone knows of a place where they sell plants and ship to europe I would be very happy with that too...I found the seed exchange for 2013-14 while surfing through the forum but it kind of overwhelmed me & I could't understand how things work there; I hope to be able to find my way around the topics soon! Oh, and if anyone has seeds of epigaea to spare I could of course buy them or exchange them with some of mine, right now I have pancratium maritimum seeds - just popped today, glaucium flavum seeds and many others..

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: newbie seed request for epigaea
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »

fenius

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
Thank you Giles!!

Gene Mirro

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
This is how I grow Epigaea repens:  https://www.nargs.org/forum/epigaea-repens
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

fenius

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
Thanks Gene, in fact I was going to ask for sowing experiences further on..  I plan to get the seeds in february to give them a better chance in the spring. Maybe I'll find the e.asiatica too by then!I'll follow up with my results!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
I have never had seed on E. repens but E. asiatica sets seed regularly and is at present "in pod" as I have occasionally heard someone referred to, when pregnant! The pods are not quite fully matured in size yet and then will have to ripen but if you send me your postal address by PM Fenius, I'll surely send you some seed as soon as it is ready. I have found it germinates best - for me anyway - on a thin layer of grit over seed mix, because the tiny seedlings are swamped and lost if sown on spaghnum or anything green, as for say, Ramonda. That is better for me on grit too. Wim's Pinguicula seed has germinated well over grit.

I don't want you to buy the seed Fenius. So many Forum people have been generous to me it's good to be able to return the favour, even if it's to someone else.

And by the way, a warm welcome to the Forum. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fenius

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
You guys are great!! Thank you so much Lesley!! :-* I hope I can return your kindness in some way !

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »
You can return it just by sowing and growing the seed and enjoying the plant which is a lovely thing. Send me your address by PM soon.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

lintonius

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:06 AM »
Hello I'm lintonius in Melbourne. I'm interested in growing epigaea asiatica so I intend to buy some seeds shortly but would like your advice. Could you please tell me if these seeds should be cold stratified for some time before sowing. Thank you.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
Hi lintonius!  you'll find  Gene's  advice  on sowing these, as defined  in a  post  above
This is how I grow Epigaea repens:  https://www.nargs.org/forum/epigaea-repens
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal