We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis x sheldonii (syn. Lingholm)  (Read 1973 times)

Annecosse

Meconopsis x sheldonii (syn. Lingholm)
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Hello, I'm new here.  I live in Charleston near Kirriemuir, East of Scotland.
I've never had a Meconopsis until 2 years ago I bought one from the Logan Botanic gardens on west of Scotland.  Having sat there without much growth in any direction, this spring and summer it suddenly spread its wings, became a much larger plant and to my joy I had 30 blooms (and took lots and lots of photos).   I'm not sure what to do next.  I've read that new plants can be grown from seed, and there are some healthy seed pods sitting there.  I've also been told I should have removed the seed pods after flowering and the plant should be propogated by division.
Can someone help me please.  Thank you.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Meconopsis x sheldonii (syn. Lingholm)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
Welcome, Ann!

If a meconopsis  is a named form then  vegetative propagation ensures the validity of the name for the new plants  but if you are just interested in having these beautiful poppies in your garden then you can certainly grow the seed from it.  Not all the big blue poppies do make viable seed but Lingholm is fertile so the chances are that yours will be fine.  No harm in trying it, anyhow, to get more free plants!

Keep an eye on the seed pods and collect them as soon as you see the capsules begin to open, or else the seed will scatter all over the place on its own.
 Actually, that's what we allow it to do here - too lazy  to collect it and sow it, really  :-[  ;)

If you want to collect the seed and sow it , then you will find Ian Christie's advice, here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/nurseryws/290104/content.html  very helpful. (Ian lives at Westmuir, by the way!)

Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:35:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Annecosse

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Maggi.  Yes I will sow seeds and see if they come to anything and I'll do my best to catch them before they burst as I've a feeling they might just disappear otherwise.
I've met Ian, he was a speaker at our local 'Gardeners' Question Time, now if I'd know he knew all about Meconopsis.....
Thank you for the link, I shall go and read about it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Ooh, Ian (Young) and I did a Question Time in Kirrie a couple of years ago. with Ian C......... :)

Ian Christie is one of the country's leading Meconopsis growers and very much an expert!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
Hello Ann, thank you Maggie for your kind words, we have had a very difficult time recently with the very hot weather spend all my time watering at night just to keep things alive, I suppose we are never happy last year we moaned about the wet, a little rain would help a lot. Ann if you want a visit here just contact me via this forum, cheers Ian
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Annecosse

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »
Hello Ian
Sorry not to have responded sooner, I've been away.
I'd love a visit, that would be great, thank you.
Ann

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Hello Ann, will send you a P.M cheers Ian
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal