We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Storing snowdrops under water.  (Read 1810 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Storing snowdrops under water.
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
A few years ago I has some snowdrop seedlings that I was not sure what I wanted to do with.  They ended up being left indoors in March for over a week in a bowl of tap water  - but seemed no worse for this experience when re-planted, even in the long term.  Since then I have gradually taken to this means of storing snowdrops if I need to keep them out of the soil for a few days.  I also noticed Hagen's post here http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8667.msg282879#msg282879 where he uses a water bath to force a grub out of a snowdrop bulb and I just now used the same trick to force out a small wire-worm from a hole in a snowdrop bulb.

Perhaps an under-water treatment is a well-known trick/technique?  But as I discovered the storage aspect for myself, I thought I would post something here in case not everybody knew. 
Almost in Scotland.

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
Re: Storing snowdrops under water.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »
During the period of constant rain - Winter 2012-2013 - some of my bulbs were under water for long periods, but they survived.

I wonder if the oxygen content of the water matters. Outside there would be a lot of disturbance to the water, rain, wind etc.

I've attempted to drive out vine weevil by immersing plants in water for a few days - does work.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
Thanks for that Alan, I'll bear that in mind.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »
Mine have been for 1 1/2 hour under water with a temperature of 44 Celsius today. No narcisfly or mite or whatever does survive that!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
Is that the same treatment as is applied commercially to daffodil bulbs, Gerard?  I had always assumed that it could not be applied to smaller bulbs like G. nivalis because you would "cook" too much of the bulb.  But perhaps I am wrong; bulbs of the popular tête-a-tête are quite small after all.   
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
Yes it is, but 44 'Celsius isnt really a cooking temperature but if you do use the 48 "to 50 " celsius you could get some damage!
Lots of other plants do get a "culturecook" before planting, peonies,lillies etc.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
I guess most of us would not have the facility to hold water at close to one exact temperature (44 C).  My wife has a pottery kiln with a temperature controller and that probably could be used for this purpose so, with her permission, I might give it a try on some bulbs I don't mind risking.  Do you have any hints and tips, Gerard?  Are there any bulbs you would not treat in this way?  And is this not a bit late in the year to be doing it?  Some of the snowdrop bulbs I moved this week already had short roots.

I am asking so many questions is because I have long held the belief that commercial daffodil growers may well have knowledge and techniques that could usefully be applied to snowdrop cultivation.  But that has not happened because so few of them venture into the world of snowdrops, so their knowledge has not passed into the snowdrop community.   
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
  My wife has a pottery kiln with a temperature controller and that probably could be used for this purpose so, with her permission, I might give it a try on some bulbs I don't mind risking.  Do you have any hints and tips, Gerard?

AlanB   - I smell disaster in the air. And it's not very fragrant.  Reminiscent of a friend's refrigerated Hippeastrums that wound up in the supper cook pot one night as turnips - husband guilty party.

Are there any bulbs you would not treat in this way?

E.A. Bowles, Green Tear, Green Mile, Elizabeth H...........

johnw - with Tropical depression Gabrielle on the way & which will be re-categorized as a Tropcial Storm as it approaches NS; up to 100mm of rain.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:32:17 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Darren

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
I guess most of us would not have the facility to hold water at close to one exact temperature (44 C).  My wife has a pottery kiln with a temperature controller and that probably could be used for this purpose so, with her permission, I might give it a try on some bulbs I don't mind risking.  Do you have any hints and tips, Gerard?  Are there any bulbs you would not treat in this way?  And is this not a bit late in the year to be doing it?  Some of the snowdrop bulbs I moved this week already had short roots.

I am asking so many questions is because I have long held the belief that commercial daffodil growers may well have knowledge and techniques that could usefully be applied to snowdrop cultivation.  But that has not happened because so few of them venture into the world of snowdrops, so their knowledge has not passed into the snowdrop community.

You could probably pick up an accurately thermostatically controlled heated water bath designed for laboratory use for around £100. Though the ones listed on e-bay at the moment seem to be from China with a £50+ postage bill attached!

No more than some of you would pay for a snowdrop bulb.....
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
Its only for dormant bulbs that are going to be planted this part of the season! And for a godd result you should give them a week 30"celsius in a room or cellar.
Right after boiling/cooking you need to plant them!

cheers,

Gerard

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
I always assumed heating them to 44oC was done in an oven, not in hot water. You live and learn. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal